Mr Dana Taylor

Changing Address to Residence

Hi Dana,

The answer is "no" and "yes"! :rolleyes:

The standard Address tag type exists in the "Address" group of tag types. The standard Residence tag type exists in a separate "Other" group of tag types. Within TMG it is easy to change a tag type to a different tag type which is in the same "group" of tag types, but not to a tag type in a different group.

John Cardinal's wonderful TMG Utility "could" come to the rescue. See the option of: Change Event Type.

But before you do that, I recommend instead that you add a new custom tag type within the "Address" group of tag types. I called my custom tag type "ResidedAddress". Since it is within the same Tag Group, you only have to open an existing "Address" tag, click on the "Tag Type" button at the top left, and then change it to "ResidedAddress".

I choose to have different default sentences for these two tag types. My "Address" tag type custom sentence assumes that a single date is entered in the date field: "As of [D], [P] ...". However, my "ResidedAddress" tag type custom sentence expects a date qualifier like 'before' or date range entered in the date field: "[D] [P] ..."

Usually I first find an address for a specific date. Then later I find they moved. With these two tag types I can simply change the existing "Address" tag to a "ResidedAddress" tag and update the date field to a range, then add a new "Address" tag as of the move date.

Hope this gives you ideas,