Sign in to follow this  
argothor

splitting project

I know this topic has been discussed before, but at the moment I can't find that discussion.

Now that it has been announced that TMG will no longer be supported after the end of the year, and other genealogy software developers are claiming to be able to input TMG data directly, I'm wanting to test these claims, but I don't want to do it with my whole project of over 90,000 people. I'd much rather split off a smaller piece of my big project and use that smaller piece as the test.

That small piece would be used for test purposes only - I would still use my bigger project within TMG until, and if, I find a viable replacement. I have been using TMG since 1999 when I switched from UTF and I like TMG a lot, I use TMG Utility as well as Second Site, so I was disappointed with Bob's announcement, but certainly understand his decision. I understand that TMG is likely going to continue to work for me for years to come, but I'd really like to find a Mac replacement to begin with since I'm running TMG on a Mac using Parallels (and I'd really like to rid myself of having to use Windows at all), but I also don't want to sit and wait until one day I discover that the program doesn't work anymore.

What I'm thinking is to split off (yet still keep that data within the larger project) all of the descendants and their spouses of one of my great-grandfathers. That should give me a pretty good test of all the various tags, flags, accents, etc. that I have used to see whether there will be a lot of clean up, whether the new program will do what I want, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Roger

I guess I should mention that I'm using TMG 9.03.

Edited by argothor

Very easy, Roger, using a List of People report, filtered for the desired people, with the Secondary Output report option set to create a new Project.

Since you want the descendents of a specific person, I would probably filter the report using a Focus Group which started with that one person and then added others using the Focus Group features.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Very easy, Roger, using a List of People report, filtered for the desired people, with the Secondary Output report option set to create a new Project.

Since you want the descendents of a specific person, I would probably filter the report using a Focus Group which started with that one person and then added others using the Focus Group features.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Thanks Michael. that is exactly the info I needed.

Made the new project, and then opened it in Roots Magic Elemental (RME) running on top of MacBridge on my Mac computer. While it seemed to input the information in all the events over with no real problems, exhibits excluded - it doesn't recognized the drive I have the exhibits on, mostly likely because the external drive I have the exhibits stored on is labeled as drive K:/ and I suspect RME running as a Mac application doesn't understand that Microsoft drive letter.

The program itself doesn't seem to have all of the options, searches, etc. that are available in TMG - it is a much simpler program, however a number of features are disabled since it is Elements and not the full version of Roots Magic. I don't see any flagging, or accents options in Roots Magic.

While Roots Magic might work for some TMG users, I think most TMG users would be somewhat disappointed with Roots Magic.

Edited by argothor