Nancy Cameron

restoring a TMG6.1 file to TMG9

I have recently installed TMG9 and have successfully transferred a rather small file (6,000 individuals) to it. That file appears to be stable and workable.

However, my big project which numbers 170,000+ simply will not take. I get all sorts of error messages, most of which I am able to "ignore" but several require "abort" and then the usual error has to do with "array".

Two or three times I actually got into the program. I tried sorting a few people through the picklist by ID number. The picklist refused to list by ID number. Then when I signed out of the file, sometimes backing up, I couldn't get back in again.

I thought I knew what I was doing on a computer (been at it for over 30 years) but this completely buffaloes me. Can anyone help? And precisely what do I need to tell you (specific messages, etc.) I hope there is a solution.

With anticipation....

Nancy Cameron

You are basically asking if someone can provide a magic solution while peering into a black box.

Did you run optimize / validate file integrity / optimize before making the backup in TMG6?

I'll be happy to test the project and see if I can get it updated if you can put the v6 backup somewhere so I can download it.

You can contact me by email by clicking on the link below...

Jim Byram

The issue affecting restore and the project after restore was the internal exhibits. Once I converted the internal exhibits to external exhibits (7197 exhibit files totaling 1.10 Gb) using TMG Utility, the v9.05 project was error-free.

To Jim Byram

Jim, I can't thank you enough for all you did to help me get my TMG6 files installed on TMG9. You figured out what my problem was and guided this goofy old lady through a correct installation and provided all the materials for reinstalling my exhibits, which were a major part of my problem. With your files of those things I need to reinstall and a wonderful list of where the exhibits need to go, I think I'm all set. You spent so much time and were so patient.

I'm working on customizing screens, etc. and learning how the new program works. Some things seem really slow (like navigating the picklist) but others are 10 times faster. Live and learn.

Your knowledge is immense and I appreciate your using it to help me with a problem I had almost decided was hopeless. I'll always be grateful!

Nancy Cameron