Sign in to follow this  
Admin

Learn common acronyms

Learn common acronyms

Applies to: All products

Tip: Here's a list of acronyms and abbreviations that you might find used in TMG, FTST, or in conversations on public mailing lists. A few common genealogical terms are included, but only because they appear in TMG or FTST. For the definition of other genealogical terms, try one of the links available via Cyndi's List, Dictionaries & Glossaries. Some other acronyms and abbreviations are further down the page.

Acronym or Abbreviation

• Ado= Relationship tag abbreviation (Son-Ado, Dau-Ado) meaning Adopted
  • Bio=Relationship tag abbreviation (Son-Bio, Dau-Bio) meaning Biological (the default used by FTST and TMG v5 to replace -Nat)
  • BMD=Birth-Marriage-Death
  • BMDB=Birth-Marriage-Death-Burial
  • BV=Bob Velke, aka BobV, the President of Wholly Genes Software.
  • Can=Relationship tag abbreviation (Son-Can, Dau-Can) meaning Candidate (This is a custom tag type added by many users)
  • CancelSeal-See SealChild, etc., below.
  • CD=Citation Detail, the field in a citation used for more specific information about the citation, for example, page numbers, dates of correspondence, etc.
  • CIT=Citation
  • DB=Database, the collection of files TMG uses to store your genealogical data
  • FAQ=Frequently Asked Questions, a list of questions and answers designed to provide information that many users need but that may not be covered by other documentation
  • FGS=Family Group Sheet
  • Fst=Relationship tag abbreviation (Son-Fst, Dau-Fst) meaning Foster
  • FTST=Family Tree Super Tools
  • FTST-L=An email-based discussion list focused on FTST; see TMG Mailing Lists
  • FV=Family View, one of the views available in TMG.
  • God=Relationship tag abbreviation (Son-God, Dau-God) meaning Godchild
  • LOE=List of Events, a type of report
  • LOP=List of People, a type of report
  • MPL=Master Place List, the list of all places defined in the database
  • MSL=Master Source List, the list of all sources defined in the database
  • Nat=Relationship tag abbreviation (Son-Nat, Dau-Nat) meaning Natural (the default in TMG v4.0d and previous; was not intended to mean born out of wedlock, as it is sometimes interpreted in the UK)
  • Oth=Relationship tag abbreviation (Son-Oth, Dau-Oth) meaning Other
  • O-Prin=Other Principal, the other principal for an event
  • P1, Prin1=Principal 1 of an event
  • P2, Prin2=Principal 2 of an event
  • PL=Picklist
  • PE=Project Explorer
  • REF=Reference, which usually refers to the Reference field in a TMG database
    Repo Repository
  • SDX=Soundex, a coding scheme used to search for people whose surname may have been recorded using several different spellings; the TMG Picklist can be sorted by the Soundex code of the surname or given name
  • SealChild, SealParent, SealSpouse, Stake, WAC-These event types are used to capture data associated with the ordinances of the Church of Latter Day Saints. The "Seal" events are used to join people to each other, and are used for spousal as well as parent/child relationships. A Stake is an organizational unit of the church. A WAC is used for witnessing an ordinance.
    Stp Relationship tag abbreviation (Son-Stp, Dau-Stp) meaning Stepchild
  • SRC=Source
  • TMG=The Master Genealogist
  • TMG-L=An email-based discussion list focused on TMG; see TMG Mailing Lists
  • TV-Tree View, one of the views available in TMG
  • VCF=Visual ChartForm, the chart generating program that is included with TMG.

People use many other acronyms and abbreviations when using electronic mailing lists to discuss genealogy or, especially, computer genealogy. Here are some of the more common examples. Some of the entries use symbols and characters in a particularly nerdy attempt at drawing faces. They're called "emoticons" (pronounced emote-ick-ons). Tilt your head to the left, suspend disbelief, and you should see smiling faces, winking eyes, sly grins... the whole gamut of human emotions!

Acronym or Abbreviation

• AFAIK=As Far As I Know
  • ASAP=As Soon As Possible
  • =big grin
  • BTW=By The Way
  • FWIW=For What It's Worth
  • =grin
  • g,d&r=grinning, ducking, and running
  • HTH=Hope This Helps
  • IMCO=In My Considered Opinion
  • IMHO=In My Humble Opinion
  • IMO=In My Opinion
  • LMAO=Laughing My Acronym Off
  • OIC=Oh, I See! [sic]
  • OT=Off Topic, a prefix for mailing list messages that are not directly related to the list's purpose
  • OTOH=On The Other Hand
  • OTTH=On The Third Hand
  • PDQ=Pretty Darn Quick
  • PITA=Pain In The Acronym
  • RSN=Real Soon Now
  • RTFM=Read The, um, Friendly Manual
  • =very big grin
  • WYSIWYG=What You See Is What You Get

Emoticons

:-) smile

'-) wink

:-( frown

<:-o eek>

learn common acronyms

Applies to: All products

Tip: Here's a list of acronyms and abbreviations that you might find used in TMG, FTST, or in conversations on public mailing lists. A few common genealogical terms are included, but only because they appear in TMG or FTST. For the definition of other genealogical terms, try one of the links available via Cyndi's List, Dictionaries & Glossaries. Some other acronyms and abbreviations are further down the page.

Thanks so much for posting this! Many newer computer users are completely lost with the acronyms and some of the TMG genealogical ones are exclusive. I'm taken back to my first experiences in conferences on our Bulletin Board System (BBS) and spending several months trying to puzzle out some of those.....especially RTFM <BG> Wow, could that really be 10 years ago????! Thanks again.

B)

Joan