Wholly Genes Newsletter
22 December 2004
Issue 2004, Number 14
You received this newsletter subscription by your
own request. To unsubscribe, see the end of the
Please do not respond to this message. It's mailbox
is for outgoing messages only. See "How to reach us"
In this issue:
o TMG v6 has been released!
o Ordering the v6 upgrade
o GenSmarts at HALF PRICE
o Give the Gift of TMG at HALF PRICE
o Second Site 1.8 Update
o Warning - John Cardinal's Utilities
o Gedstar v1.4 Upgrade
o TMG Workshops
o TMG Companion Products
o Wholly Genes online chat
o How to reach us
o How to unsubscribe
=== TMG v6 has been released! ====================
The newest version of The Master Genealogist includes a long list of exciting new features that were requested by our users. TMG v6 now includes even more tools to help you to find your ancestors, record their data, search and navigate the program, and produce professional reports. Following is a list of the major new features in TMG v6.
For screen shots of some of these new features, please visit:
A NEW LOOK
Toolbars now optionally support large buttons with descriptive text. Right-click on any toolbar to change the button size. The Standard Layouts have been redesigned with these new toolbar buttons in mind.
NEW MULTIMEDIA FEATURES
- New support for GIF images and other formats.
- Box charts (Visual Chartform) now support all image formats supported by TMG.
- Link exhibits directly to places!
- Link exhibits directly to citations!
- Exhibits now have a separate Caption field.
NEW QUERY BY EXAMPLE
The handy new Query By Example tab is a shortcut for creating simple filters on the Picklist, Project Explorer, or List of People report. Don't bother with building filter conditions. Simply fill in the blanks and click on <OK> to filter the list.
But that's just the beginning! You can use the Query By Example screen to learn how to use TMG's more powerful filtering features.
After entering some search criteria, click on the Filter tab to see how you can represent the same conditions using a filter. Then you can further customize the filter, add other conditions, etc.
It is not just an alternative to filters. It is a great way to learn how to use some of TMG's most powerful features, including filter operators, AND/OR connectors, parentheses, etc.
NEW DNA LOG
DNA testing is getting more popular and it is destined to be one of the family historian's most valuable tools.
The new DNA Log lets you record the results of DNA tests for the people in your project. You can keep track of multiple tests for each person, including the laboratory results, your own comments, and links to web sites that explain the tests.
TMG v6 supports a variety of current DNA fingerprint tests from popular laboratories and can be expanded to support other tests and laboratories using a powerful template system.
REDESIGNED FOCUS GROUP WINDOW
The Focus Group window has been redesigned to meet the suggestions of users. Among other new features, you can now:
- Control the number of generations to add for ancestors and descendants.
- Add ancestors, descendants, spouses, and name variations all at once.
- Click to Select All.
- Use the Delete key to remove members.
- See the number of names and the number of selected names in the group.
- Sort members by surname, given name, or ID number.
- Export members to an existing group.
NEW DATA ENTRY TOOLS
- A new Witness Memo field. Now you can have a separate memo for each witness. The contents can be referenced by the new witness sentence variables [WM], [WM1]...[WM9].
- A new Citation Memo field is designed to hold comments, rationale, etc., that is separate from Citation Detail and is not necessarily intended to be output. However, it can be referenced by the new source template variables [CM], [CM1]...[CM9].
- Source output can now include the contents of the repository memo. The source template can refer to [REPOSITORY MEMO], [REPOSITORY MEMO1]...[REPOSITORY MEMO9]. Shorter versions of the same variables, [RM], [RM1]...[RM9], are also supported.
- All memo fields now show formatted text (bold, italics, underline, etc.), rather than codes for those functions. Real clickable web links and email links are now supported in memos.
NEW NAVIGATION/DISPLAY FEATURES
- The Tag Box supports new optional columns for witnesses, exhibits, and tasks.
- New buttons on the Tree View allow moving upward one generation at a time.
- The Person View now shows the primary parent relationship type (e.g., "Father-Ado") if it is not Bio.
- The right click menu allows you to show/hide child tags.
NEW CHARTING OPTIONS
- The left-to-right version of the Descendant Box Chart has a new "Waterfall" option.
- The Ancestor Box Chart has a new option for "Overlapping generations."
- 25 new fancy frames are now included.
- Box charts now include an option to output the chart (tab type labels, months, etc.) in another language.
- Control the width of curved text generations on fan charts.
- Control the size of the first generation circle on a fan chart.
NEW REPORTING FEATURES
- Print a blank Family Group Sheet.
- Print spouse events on the Journal report for children who are not carried forward.
- Control the number of copies of a report to print.
- Specify the number of the first page.
- Control the print page range.
- Specify whether to include leading zeros on dates (e.g., 09 Sep 1942).
NEW CONFIGURATION OPTIONS
- Specify your preferred output file types. Unselected file formats will not appear on the Report Definition Screen, in order to keep the list to a manageable size.
- Specify a default name or place style for each tag type.
- Optionally suppress the prompt to change the Last Edited date after writing to flags with secondary output.
- Click to <Refresh Relationships> for the Auto-Relationship tag.
- Add spacers between buttons on the Custom Toolbar.
GenSmarts analyzes your research data and provides advice about how to fill the holes in your research. It makes detailed suggestions about what records to search, where, and why.
GenSmarts users can now access this popular research advisor directly from within TMG. (Requires a separate purchase of GenSmarts.)
Now you can simply access TMG's Tools menu and choose "Research suggestions from GenSmarts." TMG will leverage the power of GenSmarts to produce a list of research suggestions for the focus person. The complete explanation for each GenSmarts suggestion is also included.
If the data is available online, then you can just click to access it.
You can even select one or more GenSmarts suggestions and convert them into TMG research tasks with one click. When you are ready for a research trip, you can generate a List of Tasks report.
And you can do it all without ever leaving TMG!
OTHER NEW FEATURES
- New smart place searching allows matching on partial place names.
For instance, a search for
Birth Place Contains Elizabethton, Tennessee
will find a birth in:
Elizabethton, Carter County, Tennessee
- Soundex calculator. It produces a "standard" Soundex code plus a variety of other suggestions based on common Soundex errors. Daitch-Mokotoff coding is also supported.
- Edit State/Province Abbreviations.
- Edit a role name.
- Control the sequence of roles. That sequence is honored on the Tag Entry Screen.
- Control the sequence of witnesses. The sequence is honored in reports.
- Control the sequence of citations. The sequence is honored in reports.
- Control the sequence of bookmarks on the Bookmark Manager.
- The Relationship Calculator now produces sorted results.
- Reports generated in other languages now honor the translated tag labels, past tense and tag abbreviation fields as defined on the Tag Type Definition screen, rather than doing automated translations that are out of the user's control.
- Import tag type translations (for the label, past tense, abbreviation, and default sentences) from another project.
- Various improvements have been made to GEDCOM export and direct import from Generations, Family Origins, Legacy, and Family Tree Maker.
The v6 upgrade includes fixes to bugs that were reported by users, including:
- Backup now backs up timelines based on the default program timeline path, rather than based on the Preferences timeline path.
- Fixed a possible UK Style box chart overwrapping line problem.
- Fixed a problem of canceling the untabbed Tag Entry screen.
- Fixed an issue where the style could be lost when saving the Place Edit screen.
- The fields on the Global Search and Replace form and the MPL now use labels from the default place style, as defined on the Data Set Manager.
- The Gendex site has been removed from Web search feature.
- Corrected an issue of some audio and video exhibits not playing in the Exhibit Log and Slideshows.
- Fixed an issue where the Automatic Relation Tag would not always select the most direct relationship.
- Fixed some other issues related to translated report output.
- Fixed a variety of more obscure bugs that were reported by users.
SPECIAL CD BONUS
The upgrade can be obtained by download but those who order the CD-ROM will also receive a free electronic copy of "The Universal British Directory of Great Britain 1791" from Archive CD Books on the same disk (a $65 value!).
Digitized from five huge volumes, this is the earliest directory for Great Britain and is among the most important resources for those researching ancestors in the United Kingdom.
It includes excellent descriptions of towns and villages of the time and those residents with trades (even farmers, hay-binders, labourers, bakers, shop keepers, etc.) and their addresses.
Although titled "Great Britain," this directory covers places in England and Wales. Volume 1 is devoted to London, volumes 2 to 4 cover the places in England and Wales in alphabetical order, and vol 5 contains a number of the subsequent amendments that were published in the next few years.
=== Ordering the v6 Upgrade ===========================
TMG v5 users can download and apply the v6 upgrade for $24.95. A CD-ROM is available for an additional $10.00, which includes the cost of shipping and handling. As noted above, the CD-ROM also includes a free electronic copy of the "The Universal British Directory of Great Britain 1791," a $65 value.
To purchase the upgrade, please visit:
Then use the "Check for an update" feature on the TMG v5 Help menu in order to easily download and apply the update.
NOTE: If you purchased TMG v5 from a local dealer, then you may be able to obtain the v6 update from the same source.
Users who purchased an upgrade or full copy of TMG v5.x after 21 September 2004 will automatically receive a free update to TMG v6. Please allow 3 weeks for delivery of free upgrades. CD-ROM shipments are expected to begin by 3 January 2005.
=== GenSmarts at HALF PRICE ===========================
As described above, TMG v6 includes some powerful new features for users who also own a copy of the popular research advisor, GenSmarts.
To help you take advantage of these great new features, your TMG v6 upgrade or full product order can now include a copy of GenSmarts for just $10.97 more! That's more than HALF OFF the suggested retail price of $24.95 for GenSmarts!
But to take advantage of this very special price, you must order TMG v6 and GenSmarts at the _same_time_. Subsequent orders do not qualify for the bundle discount.
For more information about how GenSmarts can help your research, please visit:
It is unlikely that you will ever find GenSmarts at this incredibly low price again! Don't miss this opportunity to tap into the research power of GenSmarts. This bundle price offer expires on 31 January 2005.
=== Give the Gift of TMG at HALF PRICE ================
Now you can make it easier to share data with other researchers and introduce them to the power and flexibility of The Master Genealogist v5 for HALF OFF the regular retail price. For a limited time, registered users of TMG v5 or v6 can purchase additional copies of the program at a 50% discount!
What better way is there to help your fellow researchers than to encourage them to upgrade to TMG? At the same time, you'll make it easier on yourself when exchanging data with them. At $39.50, the price of TMG Gold Edition has never been lower.
A valid TMG v5 or v6 serial number is required. Your serial number uniquely identifies you and must not be shared with other researchers. Copies purchased at this promotional price may not be resold. Unlock codes for each additional copy will be mailed to the purchaser. Gift recipients may unlock the product with their own name and email address. Quoted prices include a printed Users Guide and CD-ROM but exclude shipping and handling.
(We would have preferred to make this offer some weeks earlier and in time for the holidays, but it would not have been prudent to offer TMG v5 as a gift in light of the imminent release of TMG v6.)
This half price offer expires on 31 Jan 2005, so don't delay. Order extra copies of TMG today!
=== Second Site v1.8 Update ============================
The following announcement is from John Cardinal, one of our development partners and the author of the popular web site construction tools, Second Site. With this release, John adds support for the new features in TMG v6 and adds a bunch of other really exciting features to Second Site. Other details, screen shots and the free download link are available here:
Second Site Version 1.8 Released
The latest release of Second Site has the following new or changed features:
* The new Place Index feature creates a two-level index of the places referenced in your project. The index is linked to and from the person pages. The icing on the cake is the optional place information pages that show Place Comment text and TMG's new Place Exhibits.
Please read the help page that describes the Place Index feature. Using the Place Index feature is easy, but you should have a basic understanding of how place grouping works to make the most of the Place Index feature.
* New Timeline Charts show a series of events on a bar graph. Each event can be a single point in time or a date range. Now you can show graphically how the important events in your family history align with world events, or with each other. See the example chart.
* Second Site Version 1.8 supports audio and video exhibits. Now you can add movies or sound clips of your ancestors to your site or CD-ROM project!
* The new Custom Pages section means you can create custom pages completely within Second Site. You add a custom page to the list, and then key the contents of the page in the Editor Window. Custom pages retain the overall look of the site and include the standard links, etc., in the page headers and footers.
* The User Data Folder feature now includes support for a Formats folder and a Defaults folder. Now it will be easier to those customizations separate from the program-supplied versions.
* Second Site writes citation references (superscripted citation numbers) in the order indicated by TMG's Tag Entry window, i.e., Second Site supports the citation sequencing feature in TMG v6.
* For all Formats except Narrative, Second Site writes witness names in the order indicated by TMG's Tag Entry window, i.e., Second Site supports witness sequencing feature in TMG v6. In Narratives, the witness sequence is determined by the event sentence.
These changes, and others, are described in the Second Site Change Log.
All existing customers should download this free upgrade. If you are a registered Second Site user and the About Second Site window (Help > About command) does not show the same version number and build number as above, I recommend that you download this new version and install it. You will not lose any SDF files or sites you have already made.
You may need your registration information when you install the new version.
=== Warning - John Cardinal's Utilities ===============
Please note that John Cardinal's "TMG Utility 5" is not designed for use with TMG v6 and some functions (notably the "Add Events" feature) may cause damage when operating on a TMG v6 project.
We understand that John is hard at work on an update, and it should be released soon. In the meantime, we recommend against using "TMG Utility 5" on a TMG v6 project.
=== GedStar PRO v1.4 Upgrade ==========================
The following announcement is from another of our development partners, GHCS Software, which produces GedStar PRO, the popular companion software for PalmOS users:
GHCS Software announces the release of V1.4 of GedStar Pro, a genealogy viewing program for PalmOS handheld PDAs. This release features support for the direct import of data from the popular Family Tree Maker series of genealogy programs. Virtually all of the vital data in the database can be extracted for viewing on a device that can be carried in your pocket. This includes primary events, alternate events, name variations, custom events, source citations, and repository information, complete with notes and memos. The data is transferred more completely and accurately than is possible with a generalized standard such as GEDCOM. On the PDA, the data may be viewed in a number of different ways, including graphical ancestor and descendant tree views. Soundex and relationship calculators are also included.
Previous versions of GedStar Pro introduced support for The Master Genealogist, Legacy Family Tree, and Personal Ancestral File. GedStar Pro uses GenBridge technology from Wholly Genes, Inc., for data import from some supported genealogy programs. Doug Gordon, developer of GedStar Pro, says "With the introduction of the Family Tree Maker module, we now have support for the 'big four' of the PC genealogy world."
GedStar Pro is available for download and purchase from Wholly Genes, Inc., at http://www.whollygenes.com and from Millennia Corp. at http://www.legacyfamilytree.com. The add-on module for supporting Family Tree Maker and Personal Ancestral File is available exclusively from Wholly Genes, Inc. The developer's product web site is at http://www.ghcssoftw.../gedstarpro.htm. Inquiries may be directed to the developer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
=== TMG Workshops =====================================
If you can get to the Phoenix, Arizona, area on 20-22 January 2005, then we encourage you to come to the "Warm Up Your Research" conference hosted by the National Genealogical Society (NGS).
Bob Velke, president of Wholly Genes Software, will be conducting three workshops on The Master Genealogist (Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced; two hours each) at the conference. The topics will be presented on a screen but you can bring your laptop to follow along. There is no cost for the TMG workshops beyond the conference registration fee. Space is limited, so sign up soon!
The "Warm Up Your Research" conference is a three-day event with dozens of other presentations on a wide range of topics. Lectures are organized into tracks for State Research, Research Techniques, Technology, Research Basics, and Ethnic Research.
There will also be an exhibitor area, daily luncheons and a banquet. Speakers include Cyndi Howells; Thomas Jones, CG, CGL; Helen Leary, CG, CGL, FNGS, FASG; J. Mark Lowe, CG; and Elizabeth Shown Mills, CG, CGL, FNGS, FASG; among many others.
For more information, please visit:
=== TMG Companion Products ============================
Don't miss these helpful products that are specifically designed for TMG users like you:
"Getting the Most Out of The Master Genealogist"
The popular book compiled by Lee Hoffman.
Video training tapes for TMG
Getting Started, Intermediate, or Advanced.
Web site construction tools for your TMG data.
The TMG companion program for Windows CE handheld users.
The TMG companion program for PalmOS users.
The research advisor that reads your TMG data directly.
An inexpensive chart printing service
For the full list of companion products, please visit the Wholly Genes Community forum (http://www.WhollyGenes.com/forums.htm) and click on "Companion Products."
=== Wholly Genes online chat ==========================
The next online chat with Wholly Genes will be Saturday, 15 January 2004, at 11 p.m. Eastern Time (8 p.m. Pacific). Don't miss this opportunity to "talk" online with Wholly Genes representatives, as well as with other TMG users around the world.
Remember that the Wholly Genes chat room is available to you at any time. Just go to http://www.WhollyGenes.com and click on Chat in the menu. When you see the security warning, click on <Grant this session> or <Grant always>. Then be patient because it could take 30 seconds or more (especially on a dial-up connection) to load the necessary chat tools. When prompted, simply enter a chat nickname and then click on Connect. That's all there is to it. We hope to see you there!
==== How to reach us ==================================
For tech support, please access the Wholly Genes Community message board at:
or write to: email@example.com
Please be sure to note what version of the program you are using.
You can also reach us at:
Wholly Genes Software
5144 Flowertuft Court
Columbia, Maryland 21044
(410) 379-5424 (fax)
Wholly Genes Newsletter, 22 December 2004, Issue 2004-14
No replies to this topic
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users