Guest Guest_Patrick_*

attaching source citations to multiple indeviduals

Guest Guest_Patrick_*

I have been using brand x for many years but I think I have outgrown it and am considering joining the 'big guys' using TMG.

In TMG can I enter a master source ( 1880 US Census TX) and a source ciatation ( the county and district and reel# etc as well as each member of the family and thier data) ONCE and then attach it to each member in that household as opposed to entering the whole citation (even if its as simple as copy and paste it's anoying) for each person?

thanking you in advance

Patrick Scoggin

In TMG can I enter a master source ( 1880 US Census TX) and a source ciatation ( the county and district and reel# etc as well as each member of the family and thier data) ONCE and then attach it to each member in that household

The short answer is yes, you can do that.

I think that you're laboring under the concepts/terms as defined by that other program, however. The straightforward way to do it in TMG is to create a single source called "1880 US Census TX" and it has rules about how to generate a footnote/endnote Then you create a single CENSUS event to which all of the people are linked. Then you'd link the event to the source with a single citation which references the county, district, and reel in question.

That is, the county, district, and reel are stored in the "citation detail," not the source. You can then easily reuse the "1800 US Census TX" source, referencing a different county, district, and/or reel in each citation as appropriate.