patsy

Fonts Conversion / Wish List

I'm using the most recent upgrade of TMG 6. I'm running XP Pro and Word 2002.

When generating reports, no matter what font I chose in the options screen, I get a message giving me a choice of converting to one of the four following fonts:

- Arial

- Times Roman (the ugliest font ever)

- Courier (ugly)

- System (please - why would anyone ever use that?)

I want text to be in an attractive serif font and titles in non-serif. I would like to use Century Schoolbook (True Type font) for text. Arial is okay for titles.

When I generate a report, converting to one of the 4 fonts above, I then replace the fonts in Word. That generally means that the index generated through TMG is worthless, as the page numbers will change when I change the report's font.

I love TMG, but this is really a pain. I hope someone is going to tell me that I am doing it all wrong, and that I can actually generate reports in an attractive font. :rolleyes:

I'm using the most recent upgrade of TMG 6. I'm running XP Pro and Word 2002.

When generating reports, no matter what font I chose in the options screen, I get a message giving me a choice of converting to one of the four following fonts:

- Arial

- Times Roman (the ugliest font ever)

- Courier (ugly)

- System (please - why would anyone ever use that?)

I want text to be in an attractive serif font and titles in non-serif. I would like to use Century Schoolbook (True Type font)  for text. Arial is okay for titles.

When I generate a report, converting to one of the 4 fonts above, I then replace the fonts in Word. That generally means that the index generated through TMG is worthless, as the page numbers will change when I change the report's font.

I love TMG, but this is really a pain. I hope someone is going to tell me that I am doing it all wrong, and that I can actually generate reports in an attractive font.  :rolleyes:

Seems like I am get deja vu on this one. Did I once suggest exporting in RTF format (Not word doc) and trying to change the font there by opening the file as txt? Seems like I though only one font substitution at the beginning of the RTF file might do what you ask.

But are you also saying that after the font change in Word, that Word cannot be forced to create a new index?

Seems like I am get deja vu on this one. Did I once suggest exporting in RTF format (Not word doc) and trying to change the font there by opening the file as txt? Seems like I though only one font substitution at the beginning of the RTF file might do what you ask.

But are you also saying that after the font change in Word, that Word cannot be forced to create a new index?

The index is created by TMG, not Word. Setting up an index in Word requires a ton of work, and completely defeats the ease of creating an index to a report in TMG.

When the font is resized or changed, it affects how much text goes on the page. So, Century School Book is wider than Times New Roman; some of the bottom of page 1 will go to page two, and so one throughout the document. Therefore, a person at the bottom of the original page 1 is now on page 2, etc.

A good indexing program, like Skye, is several hundred dollars. It isn't worth it for me to buy such an expensive software program for such limited use.

Exporting as .rtf has the same problem. I just ran a test document. Changing from Arial to Century School Book, both 8 pts., makes 3 lines from the first page go to page two. If I were indexing that report, the numbers would be off for everyone except those on the "new" page 1.

The problem is less reformatting the text (although the current limitations are really annoying) and more being unable to use the index TMG collects and generates. My understanding is that the index is generated on the report that TMG compiles and will get messed up if you move content on pages through formatting changes.

For such a well-regarded, classy program, it's a pity we're stuck with four very ugly font choices.

Thanks for trying to help!

The index is created by TMG, not Word. Setting up an index in Word requires a ton of work, and completely defeats the ease of creating an index to a report in TMG.

You are misinformed about how the indexing works between TMG and Word (or Word Perfect). TMG does not create an index report. TMG marks the items to be index. The index has to be generated in Word. You can make any changes you want to text, insert additional information, insert other images if desirec, all of which will change the page breaks and where the indexed items appear on a page and then as the last step generate the index in Word.

You are misinformed about how the indexing works between TMG and Word (or Word Perfect). TMG does not create an index report. TMG marks the items to be index. The index has to be generated in Word. You can make any changes you want to text, insert additional information, insert other images if desirec, all of which will change the page breaks and where the indexed items appear on a page and then as the last step generate the index in Word.

That is fantastic; that's not how I thought it worked. I'll give it a try.

Just had to jump in to say thanks for supporting my own opinion on Times Roman & Courier fonts (though I'm inclined to say they're dead even on their ugliness :wacko: )

Re your comment on indexing in Word - ahhhh, so glad I use WordPerfect - indexing is not a major task :P

All that aside, I always change my fonts in WP as I happen to like Librarian for reports that others will read, especially if they're elderly. In your place, I think I'd bite the bullet to redo the index in order to be able to change the fonts. While you're at it, send a message to MS about the convoluted process for indexing.......I realize they don't listen the way Whollygenes does but it's always worth a try.

B)

Joan

Just had to jump in to say thanks for supporting my own opinion on Times Roman & Courier fonts (though I'm inclined to say they're dead even on their ugliness :wacko: )

Re your comment on indexing in Word - ahhhh, so glad I use WordPerfect - indexing is not a major task :P

All that aside, I always change my fonts in WP as I happen to like Librarian for reports that others will read, especially if they're elderly. In your place, I think I'd bite the bullet to redo the index in order to be able to change the fonts. While you're at it, send a message to MS about the convoluted process for indexing.......I realize they don't listen the way Whollygenes does but it's always worth a try.

B)

Joan

Great font minds think alike B)

The previous poster (before you) says that TMG doesn't generate the index. It inserts the indexing code in the report. So, I should be able to do formatting, insert images, etc., and then run the index and the page numbers in the index will be correct.

I'm a web developer and I'm picky about fonts. I hate that I don't know how to change my default font away from New Times Roman in Microsoft Office products (if Microsfot even permits that). So ugly. I think Verdana is a great screen font to replace Arial. It looks good in printed text, also, as it has a little more breathing space around the letters.

I used WordPerfect for many years, and I think it is a far superior document producer compared to Word. It has better fonts, also! I got angry because my daughter came home from college and installed her "academic" version over my existing full version of WP. It caused all kinds of problems, including freezing my computer. I couldn't even get it to uninstall. When I called customer support, they refused to help me because it was an "academic" version even though I was running a full version. was a registered user, and had been a loyal customer for years. I even talked to a supervisor. Getting it all straightened out took ages and ages, and I was disgusted. (Remember when you could call them 24-hours a day and get fabulous service?) So, I starting to use Word, where, of course, you get absolutely horrible support from Microsoft. I've been thinking of switching back, but I don't want to buy a Corel bundle.