John Moran

Sorting of Association Events in FGS

Is it possible to use the Family Group Sheet Report to accomplish much of what was asked for in this posting from the Pre-Sales forum? Renaming the Family Group Sheet to something like "Longshoreman's Union" would seem to be a start in re-orienting one's thinking.

(partial quote)

"Need for GROUP or ORGANIZATION Entry (Master List of Sorts)

There is one need that I have that I'm not sure I get with TMG and that is the implementation of Groups as is in the GENTECH Data Model. I would like to have the ability to keep track of what groups (civic groups, Churches, corporations, clubs, etc.) were in a particular town at a particular time and then link people and events to these groups. Does TMG or some other software have this capability?"

(unquote)

I noticed in Options on the Report Definition Screens for the Family Group Sheet Report, that deselecting "Restrict to BMDB Group Events" on the Tags Tab seems to go a long way to opening up the Event filtering possibilities.

Use of the UFT Sample Kennedy Gedcom instead of the TMG Sample made things seem a little clearer too, but what are the pitfalls? (Lots of events for JFK)

Is it possible to use the Family Group Sheet Report to accomplish much of what was asked for in this  posting from the Pre-Sales forum? Renaming the Family Group Sheet to something like "Longshoreman's Union" would seem to be a start in re-orienting one's thinking.

(partial quote)

"Need for GROUP or ORGANIZATION Entry (Master List of Sorts)

There is one need that I have that I'm not sure I get with TMG and that is the implementation of Groups as is in the GENTECH Data Model. I would like to have the ability to keep track of what groups (civic groups, Churches, corporations, clubs, etc.) were in a particular town at a particular time and then link people and events to these groups. Does TMG or some other software have this capability?"

(unquote)

I noticed in Options on the Report Definition Screens for the Family Group Sheet Report, that deselecting "Restrict to BMDB Group Events" on the Tags Tab seems to go a long way to opening up the Event filtering possibilities.

Use of the UFT Sample Kennedy Gedcom instead of the TMG Sample made things seem a little clearer too, but what are the pitfalls? (Lots of events for JFK)

John,

Not something I do but an option which some people use is to create the group as a person. so you have a person called Longshoreman's Union.

In a tag such as member, you make the person, John Moran, Principal 1 and the group, Longshoremans Union, Principal 2.

Looking at Longshoremans Union you will get a series of tags linked to all the people.

It can be used for businesses and buildings as well.

;)

John,

Not something I do but an option which some people use is to create the group as a person. so you have a person called Longshoreman's Union.

In a tag such as member, you make the person, John Moran, Principal 1 and the group, Longshoremans Union, Principal 2.

Looking at Longshoremans Union you will get a series of tags linked to all the people.

It can be used for businesses and buildings as well.

;)

Not knowing where to start, what I had done in retrospect was to filter the small sample Kennedy database (from UFT) for the Education Event, and then sub filter for a specific Place, Princeton University in New Jersey.

This gave me only one individual on the filtered list (JFK, former US president) who had attended Princeton University in the state of New Jersey, USA. I extrapolated my thinking and assumed TMG would work properly for additional individuals, inasmuch as there were three different Name-Var tags involved.

Then I started looking for a reporting method to print out primarily individual data on JFK and any other persons who might have been tagged with the EDUCATION Event and matriculated in New Jersey.

The Family Group Sheet seemed appropriate, since it had the name Group in it, and was not totally multi-generationally ancestor and descendant oriented. But the FGS can be rather verbose, too, so using another TMG report to print an EDUCATION Event filtered, and Place sub-filterd "List of People" may be more appropriate.

Please bear with me on this, for I am venturing where I had not ventured before, and was only trying to provide a response to a prospective new user of TMG who asked a question on the restricted Pre-Sales forum.

And, of course learn something about a process I might not have tried on my own for a while, which is the whoe point of reading the forums.

John Moran

Not knowing where to start, what I had done in retrospect was to filter the small sample Kennedy database (from UFT) for the Education Event, and then sub filter for a specific Place, Princeton University in New Jersey.

This gave me only one individual on the filtered list (JFK, former US president) who had attended Princeton University in the state of New Jersey, USA. I extrapolated my thinking and assumed TMG would work properly for additional individuals, inasmuch as there were three different Name-Var tags involved.

Then I started looking for a reporting method to print out primarily individual data on JFK and any other persons who might have been tagged with the EDUCATION Event and matriculated in New Jersey.

The Family Group Sheet seemed appropriate, since it had the name Group in it, and was not totally multi-generationally ancestor and descendant oriented. But the FGS can be rather verbose, too, so using another TMG report to print an EDUCATION Event filtered, and Place sub-filterd "List of People" may be more appropriate.

Please bear with me on this, for I am venturing where I had not ventured before, and was only trying to provide a response to a prospective new user of TMG who asked a question on the restricted Pre-Sales forum.

And, of course learn something about a process I might not have tried on my own for a while, which is the whoe point of reading the forums.

John Moran

John,

As I also couldn't post to the Pre Sales forum, I replied direct to to the request.

As I said, it is not something I use.

Jim has posted a reply now in the forum which elaborates the technique.

Some people use the non-people to a great extent for census records, houses and businesses primarily.

By using tags with appropriate sentences for the roles then you could create an individual narrative probably for the non-person/

A quick play got me the following IN for a church with 2 members

View Lane Methodist Church (1)

View Lane Methodist Church (1). The following were members in 1844,Jeff

Piper (2) and John Clark (3).

With a refining of the sentences and addition of approriate sentences such as inauguration of the building etc. you could build up a complexw document.

Edited by jeffpiper