dennis

Focus Group Deleting Issue

I am trying to delete a very distant family (not even family really) branch of 137 people. I created a focus group of all the people, no problem. In fact, creating the focus group was easier than I thought it would be. Next, I tried to delete all the people using the focus group but it only grabbed 60 or so because of "existing relationships".

Is there any way to delete all relationships within a focus group without pulling-up each individual separately? This would be a great help in trimming some of the excess out of my database.

Thanks,

You can't exactly delete them, but there is a pretty simple solution - move then to another Data Set, then either delete that data set, keep it where it is, or save it in another Project.

To move the people:

1. In the Data Set Manager (File menu), add a new temporary Data Set. Use the Add button, and give it a name.

2. Back on the main screen, use Move Person(s) (Edit menu) to move everyone in the Focus Group to that new Data Set.

Now you have some choices. You can:

1) go back to Data Set Manager, and delete the temporary Data Set. Everyone in it will be gone. Or,

2) you can just leave the second data set there. I don't see much point in this, although you could disable it so it's not visible. Or,

3) you could copy the Project, and in the copy remove all data sets but the one with the moved people - thus you would have a copy of them all saved in case you should every decide you care about them. Then in the original project, delete the temporary data set as in #1 above.