elevator

Wish list - GEDCOM export

Good morning,

I run several websites using phpGedView using data from a TMG database and it's working great. I do have one wish though: When exporting data to a GEDCOM it would be really great if we were able to choose to export only primary exhibits. For example I have consistenly set the person's portrait as the primary exhibit, but I have some 2500 exhibits in my database and all of these get exported to the GEDCOM so it involves a lot of cleaning up for me before I can publish it to the website. Is it possible to post a feature request somewhere so that it may be considered by the developers?

Thanks,

Elev.

This might be the wrong place...but...how do you get V6 to export the images??? When I export to a gedcom and then import that gedcom into TMG V6 I lose all of the "internal photos>

This might be the wrong place...but...how do you  get V6 to export the images??? When I export to a gedcom and then import that gedcom into TMG V6 I lose all of the "internal photos>

That's why you need to use a special module like GenBridge instead of GEDCOM to port data like that. GEDCOM usually supports photos by providing a link to an external file, such as a JPEG file. So what can be done about internal photos? One answer would be to convert the internal photos to external files and link to those. But where should these photos go, how would they be named, etc.? Potentially very messy.

Interestingly, the GEDCOM standard does define a method for embedding an object like a photo or audio data inside the GEDCOM file itself. However, since a GEDCOM file has to be entirely character formatted (e.g., ASCII characters), the standard requires a special encoding method that makes the resulting data a lot larger than it is in binary format. So a GEDCOM file with a lot of internal "exhibits" of this type would be incredibly huge!

And I have yet to see a genealogy program that actually creates GEDCOM files with embedded objects.

I run several websites using phpGedView using data from a TMG database and it's working great. I do have one wish though: When exporting data to a GEDCOM it would be really great if we were able to choose to export only primary exhibits.

That looks fairly straightforward and I'll talk to the programmer when we have the time to look at it.

This might be the wrong place...but...how do you  get V6 to export the images??? When I export to a gedcom and then import that gedcom into TMG V6 I lose all of the "internal photos>

Only the links to external exhibits are exported. I would suggest using only external exhibits in any case. They give better control and keep your database backup much smaller.

Doug mentioned the part of the GEDCOM specs that covers encoding multimedia objects. This has nothing to do with TMG internal exhibits. GEDCOM actually supports only links to external multimedia objects and just provides a way to add those external objects to the GEDCOM file.

And I have yet to see a genealogy program that actually creates GEDCOM files with embedded objects.

Ancestral Quest will encode multimedia objects but then other programs can't extract them.

Thanks for looking into this for me, Jim. A feature like being able to export only primary exhibits to GEDCOM would be tremendeously valuable and time-saving for me. One step closer to genealogy program nirvana :D

Ken.

That looks fairly straightforward and I'll talk to the programmer when we have the time to look at it.