Eric Haas

TMG v6.07 - "marriages" out of order in journal report

I have a woman in my database who married, had two children by her husband, divorced, and then had two children by a man she didn't marry.

I created a custom "Unmarried" tag for situations like this. It is in the marriage group, and just has an exclusion marker in the sentence.

In my database, I have Mary Johnson married to Tom Smith, with a sort date of 1990. She then has two children with Tom, birth dates of 1991 and 1992. Then she divorces Tom Smith, divorce tag sort date 1993.

She then has two children with Joe Jones, birth dates 1995 and 1996. I added an Unmarried tag with a sort date of 1994. If I run a journal report on Mary Johnson I get:

Children of Mary Johnson and Joe Jones were as follows:

2. Child1 Jones, born 1995.

3. Child2 Jones, born 1996.

Children of Mary Johnson and Tom Smith were as follows:

4. Child1 Smith, born 1991.

5. Child2 Smith, born 1992.

Now, if I change the Unmarried tag to a Marriage tag, the children from the Smith marriage will be listed first, followed by the Jones children. However, I then get a sentence saying that Mary Johnson and Joe Jones were married, when they weren't.

Is this a bug, or am I missing something?

No one has any comments?  :(

I don't see why it should happen. I've got your post on this topic on TMG-L marked to look at again, but haven't gotten back to test and try to figure out what might be going on. Maybe later today... :unsure:

I don't see why it should happen. I've got your post on this topic on TMG-L marked to look at again, but haven't gotten back to test and try to figure out what might be going on. Maybe later today... :unsure:

Actually, I think I just figured it out. I didn't have the "Unmarried" tag as one of my selected tags for the report. I wasn't even thinking about that, as there was no sentence to print out, but apparently TMG doesn't even check the sort date unless the tag is selected.

Actually, I think I just figured it out. I didn't have the "Unmarried" tag as one of my selected tags for the report. I wasn't even thinking about that, as there was no sentence to print out, but apparently TMG doesn't even check the sort date unless the tag is selected.

That makes sense to me -- if the tag is not to be considered in the report, it should be totally ignored, I'd think.

So including it fixes the problem?

That makes sense to me -- if the tag is not to be considered in the report, it should be totally ignored, I'd think.

The only problem is, the tag controls the printing of information that's not actually in the tag. If the tag had a sentence and I wanted to repress the sentence in some reports, but not in others, I'd have to choose between having to edit out the sentence manually, or having the children in the wrong order. Not really a big deal, though.

So including it fixes the problem?

Yes, with the tag included, the children are in the correct order.

If the tag had a sentence and I wanted to repress the sentence in some reports, but not in others,  I'd have to choose between having to edit out the sentence manually, or having the children in the wrong order.

Or, make two tag types - one for those you wanted to print and one for those you don't. :)