Grimesgang

VCF Descendant Box Chart

In running through many of the reports, I found an issue with the Descendant box report.

The bar showing the progress of the report gets to about halfway, then stops for a bit. Then I get a message saying "Visual Chartform has encountered a problem and needs to close."

Under the "more information" note, I see:

AppName:vcf.exe AppVer:3.1.0.19 ModName:vcf.exe

ModVer:3.1.0.19 Offset: 000df8fe

The technical information & hex dump connected with the problem is huge.

Finally, if I let it sit long enough without closing it, I get a note from my computer mentioning something about virtual page memory being low. This doesn't happen when I do an ancestor box chart, just the descendant. I've tried closing & re-opening TMG, and even restarting my computer, all with no success. Is it just my database or is this a glitch? The DB is not huge; just a couple thousand people total.

Does it make a difference which chart orientation you are using - say left-to-right rather than top-to-bottom? Does it happen with fewer generations?

Are you using the US or UK style (Lines tab)?

You might try the same report in the Sample project to see if it is dataset related.

Virginia

Does it make a difference which chart orientation you are using - say left-to-right rather than top-to-bottom?  Does it happen with fewer generations?

Are you using the US or UK style (Lines tab)?

You might try the same report in the Sample project to see if it is dataset related.

Virginia

Further observations based on your questions:

L/R vs T/B does not matter

US vs UK lines does not matter

The chart works in the sample project

NOTE: The chart I was trying for was seven generations of my direct line. I pared it down to five generations and the chart worked. When I tried to put in the sixth generation, the chart froze as before.

However, it does not seem to be a number of generations issue. I chose a different line (paternal grandmother rather than paternal grandfather), and it successfully printed eight generations, including two people with twelve children each. It went through the progress bar several times rather slowly on the 8-gen print, but it made it.

Therefore it seems to a dataset issue with my great-great grandfather Grimes. There is nothing special about him or his father chart-wise, and the number of people is less than the 8-gen Shaw test I did.

NOTE: The chart I was trying for was seven generations of my direct line. I pared it down to five generations and the chart worked. When I tried to put in the sixth generation, the chart froze as before.

I'm no expert on charts by any means but it seems to be getting to that 6th generation and then getting into a loop. So it may be that there is some relationship at that level that it can't cope with. You've assigned the wrong person as a son/daughter which takes you back around the chart again.

The audit trail report may give a clue.

I'm no expert on charts by any means but it seems to be getting to that 6th generation and then getting into a loop. So it may be that there is some relationship at that level that it can't cope with. You've assigned the wrong person as a son/daughter which takes you back around the chart again.

The audit trail report may give a clue.

By "audit trail", I assume you mean the audit report. While I got 38 hits out of 2577 people, most were too many kids, death after 100, and death after burial. No audit citation referred to the questionable line in any way. The notes all referred to different lines, including some that have printed the descendant box chart.

I also ran a VFI, Optimized, and reindexed. No help. I searched for duplicates and merge candidates. While I see I have some more cleanup work to do, none of the report items touched on my problem line in any way.

BTW, the report works in reverse (ancestor box chart), even up to ten generations, so I would think that all relationships are OK. Also, though this probably doesn't matter, the Project Explorer view has no problem with same information structure. It shows all the descendants in the right places.

I am mystified. Then again, with TMG it doesn't take much to do that to me. :wacko:

By "audit trail", I assume you mean the audit report.

Sorry, Yes Audit Report. Audit Trail is a report in the accounts package I support for a living.

:rolleyes:

Edited by jeffpiper

BTW, the report works in reverse (ancestor box chart), even up to ten generations, so I would think that all relationships are OK. Also, though this probably doesn't matter, the Project Explorer view has no problem with same information structure. It shows all the descendants in the right places.

I am mystified. Then again, with TMG it doesn't take much to do that to me. :wacko:

Have you tried running the descendant report for each of gg grandfather Grimes children? i.e. if 4 children then 4 reports. If one of those won't run then it may narrow down the area to look at.

Have you tried running the descendant report for each of gg grandfather Grimes children? i.e. if 4 children then 4 reports. If one of those won't run then it may narrow down the area to look at.

Sorry it took me so long to answer. Yes, I'm trying that. I haven't gone all the way down (other subjects, like work, jump in the way), but I seem to be having some luck getting it down into one "arm" of one generation. Eventually I'll probably have an individual I'll need to repair/re-enter or something of the like.