randy

Can't complete backup

I've not been doing much since the summer but each time a new release has appeared, I've installed the update and am now on 6.07. Using some spare time over the holidays, I've added a few bits of information but when trying to do a backup on exit, receive a message saying "OLE error code 0x80040154; Class not registered, 39 MENUOBJTMG.MBACKUPWIZARD".

I've run the validate file integrity (several times - the first it found problems but fine after that), the reindex and the optimize. I've also defragmented my disk, both before and after running the various maintenance options.

It appears that new entries are being saved but - obviously - I want to do backups as well.

HELP!!!!!

Thanks....

Randy,

this error message typically indicates that an "OCX" file needed by TMG is missing.

Go to the main directory where TMG is installed. Here you'll find a file named "Error.txt". Open it with a texteditor (!!). It should show the following "OCX" files as registered:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\bbFolderTree.ocx was registered

C:\WINDOWS\system32\msdxm.ocx was registered

Is that the case?

Does the Error.txt show any other error messages?

When you updated TMG did you run any anti-virus or anti-spam software during the update? If yes, may be they produced conflicts which now cause this error.

Vera

Thanks for the reply, Vera. I should have included the error.txt info in my initial message. Both of the statements you mentioned are there.

05.04.23, 21:50:24 ok >C:\WINDOWS\system32\bbFolderTree.ocx was registered

05.04.23, 21:50:26 ok >C:\WINDOWS\system32\msdxm.ocx was registered

2005.12.26, 00:03:15 1426OLE error code 0x80040154: Class not registered. 39 MENUOBJTMG.MBACKUPWIZARD

(with the latter being repeated multiple times....)

I was good about heeding the instructions to shut down a-v programs prior to install.

My initial thought was to simply re-apply an update (the 6.0 -> 6.07 one) to see if it would just put things back together but it was too smart and refused to proceed saying that I'd already upgraded.

So I'm still stuck....

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply, Vera. I should have included the error.txt info in my initial message. Both of the statements you mentioned are there.

05.04.23, 21:50:24 ok >C:\WINDOWS\system32\bbFolderTree.ocx was registered

05.04.23, 21:50:26 ok >C:\WINDOWS\system32\msdxm.ocx was registered

2005.12.26, 00:03:15       1426OLE error code 0x80040154: Class not registered.         39 MENUOBJTMG.MBACKUPWIZARD

(with the latter being repeated multiple times....)

I was good about heeding the instructions to shut down a-v programs prior to install.

My initial thought was to simply re-apply an update (the 6.0 -> 6.07 one) to see if it would just put things back together but it was too smart and refused to proceed saying that I'd already upgraded.

So I'm still stuck....

Thanks!

The 6.07 update file may still be in your main tmg folder, so you might try running it again from there. Look for a small .exe file with 'update' in the name - and see if it will run again. If you have more than one update file, you would want to run the most recent. (I assume you have good backups before you do anything.)

If that does not help, you may want to uninstall tmg and reinstall the full 6.07 version (about 38M - needs a fast connection). You can download it and use your same v6 registration information - be sure to have it on hand first!

A quick way to get the registration info is in TMG - Help > Tech Support > Trouble Report (button at bottom left). That gives you a text file with all the necessary info in it, so you can save it and copy/paste the number later.

The full install is available at:

http://download.whollygenes.com/downloadTMG.html

Let us know what happens -

Virginia

Randy,

thanks for your reply.

In addition to what Virginia already suggested please allow me two more questions:

Did you apply any security updates in the meantime because security settings may cause this issue? If yes is it possible that they have "turned off" active-X controls registered?

What happens if you run the application under the Administrator account? Does that make a difference?

Vera

Randy,

<snippet>

Did you apply any security updates in the meantime because security settings may cause this issue? If yes is it possible that they have "turned off" active-X controls registered?

At least as often as Norton publishes them. Shouldn't EVERYONE be applying security updates whenever they become available? :huh:

What happens if you run the application under the Administrator account? Does that make a difference?

I assume you're referring to the WinXP Administrator level. My normal working is at that level and there has never been a problem with any other program requiring me to 'sign out' and log back on as 'Administrator'.

Perhaps I'm missing something?

Thanks....

Tried installing the .07 upgrade again: no joy.

My angst is that on a reinstall I'll lose all of my flags, layouts, etc. etc. (things I've probably changed umpteen years ago and now don't realize that they're not standard any longer but will have a rude awakening if I reinstall).

I was certainly hoping for something other than the 'bog standard' remove/reinstall that's standard help desk solution to every problem from an uncommunicative modem to acid indigestion.... :(

Thanks.

Tried installing the .07 upgrade again: no joy.

My angst is that on a reinstall I'll lose all of my flags, layouts, etc. etc. (things I've probably changed umpteen years ago and now don't realize that they're not standard any longer but will have a rude awakening if I reinstall).

I was certainly hoping for something other than the 'bog standard' remove/reinstall that's standard help desk solution to every problem from an uncommunicative modem to acid indigestion....  :(

Thanks.

If the error message means that a file has not been properly entered into the Windows registry - or has become overwritten - then a full reinstall may be your only option.

Before you bite that bullet though, have you checked to be sure that your backup preferences are current and correct (Preferences > Current Project Options> Advanced), and - if your backup is to an external medium, try backing up to a folder on your hard drive. Doubt if it will help, but worth a try.

Before you uninstall, copy your project folder to a safe place outside of tmg. I always keep my projects in a folder off the root drive, not in tmg. Your accents, filters, flags are with the projects and should be safe. You can use Windows Explorer to copy the layout files (*.lo) and custom toolbars (*.tbr) files to another folder - and copy them back after the install if you don't have them in a current backup.

A full backup with customizations will include all those things and is a good idea before any upgrade you make in the future.

Virginia

Randy,

the developers are working on this.

Can you please look in your system folder of WINDOWS if the following files are in there:

dzactx.dll and duzactx.dll

Thanks in advance for your help.

Vera