mheinric

Journal report sort order

I have experienced the following odd behaviour of the journal report:

All my tags have either the date-field or the sort-date-field filled in.

I usually have several tags (10-20) per name entry. Wherever I don't have an exact date I'll enter an sort date to move the tag to the place where it should belong...

In the details window everything is well sorted - so far so good.

So - now this is what happens when it comes to report generating:

In an "Individual Narrative Report" the tags come out sorted as expected.

But when I generate a journal report the tags are sorted with date-field entry come out sorted first, and the tags with the sort-date field come out sorted second - quite annoying :-(

I have tried several narrative reports, and it seems, that all do it right, it seems to be just the journal report doing this mysterious sorting !

Has anybody experienced a similar behaviour ?

Or is there anybody who knows what can be done to solve this issue ?

I have experienced the following odd behaviour of the journal report:

All my tags have either the date-field or the sort-date-field filled in.

I usually have several tags (10-20) per name entry. Wherever I don't have an exact date I'll enter an sort date to move the tag to the place where it should belong...

In the details window everything is well sorted - so far so good.

So - now this is what happens when it comes to report generating:

In an "Individual Narrative Report" the tags come out sorted as expected.

But when I generate a journal report the tags are sorted with date-field entry come out sorted first, and the tags with the sort-date field come out sorted second  - quite annoying :-(

I have tried several narrative reports, and it seems, that all do it right, it seems to be just the journal report doing this mysterious sorting  !

Has anybody experienced a similar behaviour ?

Are you sure that is what is happening or are the BMDB (birth, marriage, death, burial) tags printing first followed by all other tags? That is the default sequence for the journal report. To print in strict chronological order go to Options in the Report Definition, under the General tab select Custom format under Style and on the Miscellaneous tab uncheck BMDB in separate paragraph under Format....

Or is there anybody who knows what can be done to solve this issue ?

The Journal, by default, places the primary birth, marriage, death, and burial tags in the first paragraph. Then all other tags follow in sort date order in a separate paragraph. Is this what you are seeing?

This follows the style guide of the major journals. But if you want all tags to sort simply in sort date order, as the other narratives do, you can achieve this under Options:

1. On the General tab, change to "Custom format" under Style.

2. On the Miscellaneous tab, un-check "BMDB in a separate paragraph."

The Journal, by default, places the primary birth, marriage, death, and burial tags in the first paragraph. Then all other tags follow in sort date order in a separate paragraph. Is this what you are seeing?

This follows the style guide of the major journals. But if you want all tags to sort simply in sort date order, as the other narratives do, you can achieve this under Options:

1. On the General tab, change to "Custom format" under Style.

2. On the Miscellaneous tab, un-check "BMDB in a separate paragraph."

Thanks - it worked ! :-)