morriehr

Duplicate people with same ID

A record is duplicated in my file, a person exactly identical except one is marked primary. I can't merge them because the ID's have to be different. I can't delete one because it will delete both. I tried to renumber one and delete that one, but TMG just renumbered both. I ran the check for duplicate people and TMG did not find it. How can I fix this?

A record is duplicated in  my file, a person exactly identical except one is marked primary.  I can't merge them because the ID's have to be different.  I can't delete one because it will delete both.  I tried to renumber one and delete that one, but TMG just renumbered both.  I ran the check for duplicate people and TMG did not find it.  How can I fix this?

It's because you have a duplicate name tag with the same name. Look in the Detail View, tag list, for the individual and you should see a name tag with the same name as the primary name. Delete that name tag.

A record is duplicated in  my file, a person exactly identical except one is marked primary.

As Paul says, you don't have duplicate people, but only duplicate names. The Picklist and Project Explorer are lists of names, not lists of people. This makes it possible to find people by nicknames, alternate spellings, married names, etc. if you have created name tags for those names.

If the names are actually the same, you will want to delete one of them, after making sure that all source citations and any other details have been copied to the remaining tag. Duplicate names are most often caused by merging duplicate people in your data set.