half pint

PROBLEMS WITH RESIZING SCREEN IMAGE

Hi

I only downloaded the program 3 days ago so please bear with my clumsiness.

I want to import my tree from Legacy but when I go into the screen to import this, the next step buttons etc are below the bottom of my screen. Can someone please tell me how I can raise the view. I have tried to use the arrow key that comes onto the screen but it won't let me take it any higher due to the tool bar at the top.

Many thanks for your help.

Half Pint

If you are using a screen resolution of 800x600, you may need to maximize some screens in tmg to see the buttons at the bottom. There are a couple of ways to get a little more screen space:

Use small buttons (Preferences > View > Toolbars > Small buttons).

Close the status bar(Preferences > Program Options > General > Show status bar).

Making those changes also changes the layout - so you should resave your layout, giving it a new name. You cannot make changes to the Standard layout.

If you are still having trouble seeing the buttons, let us know -

Virginia

Hi Virginia

Many thanks for coming back to me so quickly, it is really appreciated.

I have gone into preferences and found the option to switch off the status bar and when I applied it, it didn't solve the query.

Your other suggestion was to go to the small buttons via view, when I've searched there is no view key, nor when I look into every option can I see anything that says small button.

Can I please explain what I see a little. I have gone into "file" and chosen the "import" screen, that comes up and asks you to choose between simple and advanced wizard.

There is nothing on my screen to take me to the next stage and so I believe they must be below the bottom of the screen. Am I correct?

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

Regards

Lin (Half Pint)

Hi, Lin -

To change to Small buttons, go to the top menu, View > Toolbars > Small buttons.

You're right; at the bottom of the Import screen are buttons for Cancel and Next - and in your case, apparently hidden from view.

Can you go to a top corner of the import screen to get the double-headed arrow, then drag that corner toward the middle to make the window smaller? If you can make it smaller, maybe you will have room to move it up.

Are you using a 800x600 screen resolution? It's the minimum for tmg, and can cause a problem like this. Normally we can come up with a workaround though.

Let us know how it goes. Small buttons should help a lot -

Virginia

Hi Virginia

It worked. By going to the top VIEW, I changed to small buttons and now I can see everything and have imported my gedcom.

Up until 3 days ago I had everything on Legacy, then I had problems and it deleted everything. Apparently there is a weakness in the program where the whole program freezes and then you lose all your data. This does tend to make you a little paranoid.

Many many thanks for showing me more uses of the program it is very very much appreciated.

Regards

Lin (Half Pint)

I'm glad that worked. Don't hesitate to ask if you run into another problem or have a question.

As a new user of tmg, you may find the articles on Terry Riegel's Tips page to be helpful. His latest article on Basic Data Entry is a good place to start, also Projects and Data Sets, explaining the difference. You can find the articles at:

http://tmg.reigelridge.com/

Welcome to TMG!

Virginia

The problem still exists with the Journal report definition window and several others if the bottom line of the page is the task bar. The report definition screen can't be sized any smaller and doesn't allow room for the task bar. I have to remove the task bar to access the radio buttons for each report. Since I usually have several programs running concurrently, this is a hassel. The problem doesn't occur in Version 6.

If you are using the v7 method of window resizing, try the 5/6 method (Preferences > Other). That would allow you to make the report definition screen smaller. With the v7 method, some windows - like the Focus Group and Report definition screen have minimum sizes.

Virginia

I upgraded from 6.12 to 7.01 a few days ago and am having the same problem with the Report Definition Screen being too large to access the buttons at the bottom or to resize manually.

I use a 22" widescreen monitor 800x600. I use small buttons on the toolbar. I have ticked Use TMG 5/6 in Preferences- Other. I have turned off and rebooted. What little hair I had has been torn out.

IGNORE ME! The TMG 5/6 option has fixed the problem. If I had hair I would be having a bad hair day!

David

Edited by cooperda