mikemore

Person Change on Tag Exit

I have had this happen on several occasions. I will add or edit a tag and when I close the tag (click OK),the person that I am working on changes or all the screens (Details, Flags, Children & Siblings) go blank. I have run Validate File Integrity and there are no problems. I can click on the Last Viewed Person Button and I return to the right person. I tried to edit a tag on the new person but I didn't return to the original. I am not sure what is going on but it's a bit frustrating.

Similarly, when trying to change a flag, the screen changes to another person. In fact it actually changes the flag on the wrong person.

If I shut down TMG and re-open, the problem goes away

Guest PhilDee
I have had this happen on several occasions. I will add or edit a tag and when I close the tag (click OK),the person that I am working on changes or all the screens (Details, Flags, Children & Siblings) go blank. I have run Validate File Integrity and there are no problems. I can click on the Last Viewed Person Button and I return to the right person. I tried to edit a tag on the new person but I didn't return to the original. I am not sure what is going on but it's a bit frustrating.

Similarly, when trying to change a flag, the screen changes to another person. In fact it actually changes the flag on the wrong person.

If I shut down TMG and re-open, the problem goes away

Mike,

It sounds like the index files have gotten scrambled beyond the point that reindex will resolve the problem. Close TMG. Then using Windows Explorer or My Computer navigate to C:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist\Projects folder. In that folder you will find 29 files that begin with your project name and have a .CDX extension. If you click on VIEW and select Arrange Files by TYPE it makes them easier to find. You may also have to click on Folder Options and find the line that says HIDE KNOWN FILE EXTENSIONS and make sure the box beside it is unchecked if you can see the extension in the file list.

Now DELETE those 29 CDX files. They are the index files and TMG will rebuild them next time you start the program. Hopefully that will resolve your problems.

Phil

Wholly Genes Tech Support

Mike,

It sounds like the index files have gotten scrambled beyond the point that reindex will resolve the problem.  Close TMG.  Then using Windows Explorer or My Computer navigate to C:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist\Projects folder.  In that folder you will find 29 files that begin with your project name and have a .CDX extension.  If you click on VIEW and select Arrange Files by TYPE it makes them easier to find.  You may also have to click on Folder Options and find the line that says HIDE KNOWN FILE EXTENSIONS and make sure the box beside it is unchecked if you can see the extension in the file list.

Now DELETE those 29 CDX files.  They are the index files and TMG will rebuild them next time you start the program.  Hopefully that will resolve your problems.

Phil

Wholly Genes Tech Support

Thanks, Phil. I will give it a try.

Phil, it works for a while but the problem re-occurs. I followed your instructions on 10 Feb and then had to repeat it yesterday on 12 Feb. It's back again in less than 24 hours. Any ideas? Thanks.

Memory leaks? Any changes in computer hardware? New memory modules? Video card graphics? Video Acceleration off? Monitor screen Resolution changes? Monitor vertical frequency setting way above 60hz? Printer Drivers new? Default printer changed? Adobe Reader 7.07 upgrade? File size approaching 2GB? Heavy use of Exhibits? Tried a different wired mouse? Bad center wheel on mouse?

Memory leaks? Any changes in computer hardware? New memory modules? Video card graphics? Video Acceleration off? Monitor screen Resolution changes? Monitor vertical frequency setting way above 60hz? Printer Drivers new? Default printer changed? Adobe Reader 7.07 upgrade? File size approaching 2GB? Heavy use of Exhibits? Tried a different wired mouse? Bad center wheel on mouse?

John, I am not sure that I understand all your comments. There has been no change to the computer hardware or software that I know of, other than updates to Windows (2000Pro) and Norton. I checked and I do have Adobe 7.07. The mouse is wireless and has been there for some time; I don't notice anything wrong with the centre wheel in any other programs. Do you have any solution for my problem or anyplace that I could go for further assistance. Thanks.

John, I am not sure that I understand all your comments.

I seldom understand any of my comments.<g> But at first it seemed that there might be a mouse problem, and mice are cheap. Later it appeared to me to be a memory leak. Then I went to Google and found that you can search for "memory leak" and any other word and get numerous hits. Every version of Foxpro seems to "fix' some memory leak from the previous version.

Also, it appears to me that TMG is now using a certain version of a developer app called "FreeImage" for displaying Exhibit bitmaps. This version can cause memory leaks under certain conditions, according to its creators. If TMG is not using this app, or not using the features that cause a memory leak, I apologize in advance.

And then I recently decided to move into the 21st century and bought a new, but obsolete, Graphics card for my obsolete 4X AGP port with half as much memory as my XP computer motherboard formerly had, including the 32mb dedicated to video. And then I threw in an extra gigabyte of ram for good measure.

Then, after the purchase, but before the rebate offer expired, I searched for all the potential problems, including possible memory leaks, with that card and other cards with high resolution 3D rendering support. And then I found that 3D rendering cards for games at high frame rates at lower resolutions are not necessarily designed the same way as the best 3D rendering, dual monitor supporting cards for CAD programs.

And then I learned, that at least two new, higher bandwidth video card slots have been included in most new motherboards in the last year, and that 8X AGP and PCI are dead for video. And then I physically saw a couple of those slots in new "main" boards at a large Electronics store, mostly by accident, because the store was new to my area.

Not that many older genealogists appear to be gamers, but some are, and some have children and grandchildren, and some unwittingly buy computers with this capability. So the question may be, does a TMG user with "Mousing" problems have acceleration software bundled with the video card? Is this software an obsolete version of Open GL, or whatever acceleration software Microsoft was pushing at the moment? Is it enabled in XP Display Properties? Does it affect plain old 2D frame buffering in Foxpro?

Sometimes I do not even remember what I have suggested at the moment, let alone understand it. But I surf a lot and throw things out in the hopes that it might ring a bell with a user with problems. The developers and the "super-users" cannot do this because people expect them to always be correct. No one expects exactness, from me, but like a stopped clock I am right once in a while.

It is probably by coincidence that the subject of mouse behavior has sprung up on TMG-L since this thread was started.

Regards,

John