hotsprings

One Data Set: Two Computers

Question: What file maintenance does one follow to keep TMG Data Sets current on two separate computers [Home-base Desktop & Traveling Laptop]? Do I need to make a complete backup of the data set from the last computer used and move it over to the other computer needing the data set updated... and then do a complete restore?

Any other tips on keeping tabs on which computer data set needs the update [in the event some time passes since I last used a particular PC, and forget which machine that was].

I guess "IF I always" do a backup after making any data changes on either PC, I can check the Date & Time stamps of the two backup files. Are there any automated routines built-in to TMG?

This can get very tricky for this old man... the right hand not knowing what the left hand has done.

Thank you,

--- Gilbert

What about always keeping your file on a USB memory stick, that way when you load from the memory stick you will always be using the latest files.

But keep a backup on each machine just in case you lose memory stick every once in a while.

Oh, so simple...

Oh, so perfect for me!

Thank you, "Shaundm".

I am currently using two USB flash drives (a 1GB and a 2GB) for moving photos between machines. I'll attach a permanent hard plastic tag labeled "TMG" to the 1GB, which is more storage capacity than I will ever need to keep 2 large project folders to access when I'm running TMG.

I'm already in the habbit of making sure these flash drives are on board the van before we take off on our various trips...

I guess it all boils down to the fallable human element... my memory.

Thanks again...

--- Gilbert

If you are able to network the two computers, there are file maintenance programs around which will synchronise data files between networked computers. I use a shareware program, "Second copy", which does this. Like you, I have a desktop at my home office base and use a laptop when away. When working at base, I have the two networked and Second Copy set to automatically synchronise data files every couple of hours. That way I always have exactly the same set of data files on each computer. So far (touch wood) it's worked without a hitch for TMG files, as well as other data files.

pktropics