Alison

UK place names in US edition

I have the US edition of TMG 6.08 and have a fair number of english ancestors which means a fair number of english census records and place names. I don't feel that its enough to create a hybrid version so I would like to just create new place styles and tags, if needed, in the US version. Unfortunately, having just decided to switch to TMG I have little ideas of how to go about this. I would love some suggestions or web-sites to look at.

Hi Alison,

This is easier than it seems. The first step is to go to TOOLS, then under that, MASTER STYLE LIST. Once in that screen, click the button area next to PLACES.

This is where you will make your changes. You are going to ADD a new style, and give it whatever name you want (mine is UK Standard Place). If you right click on the fields (Address, Detail, etc.) you can add a new field name.

Once you have the fields named and changed the way you want, make sure to set your templates too.

I have attached a screen shot of how mine looks. I actually mimicked the setup in the UK version of TMG.

As for the tags, I have the following that I created:

Baptism UK

Birth Reg UK

Census UK 1841-1901

Census UK bef 1841

Death Reg UK

Marr Reg UK

Marriage Banns UK

Marriage UK

I set up all of these to utilize the UK Standard Place Style that I created. The tags are created by going to TOOLS, MASTER TAG TYPE LIST, then ADD.

If you are interested in seeing the sentence structure for those tags, let me know.