Being a very new user of TMG it appears that the only backup can be saved to floppy disc and not CD-R/RW? Is this the case or have I missed some important point when attempting to backup. I am currently researching five families so to back up to CD-R/RW would be good. Thanks in anticipation.

Edited by Bob56

You can change the backup destination under File > Preferences > Current Project Options > Adanced. By default it's the A:\ drive.

Whether you can backup directly to a CD depends on the software you have installed to burn CDs - the "normal" Windows installation cannot do that.

But in any case, I agree with Bob that the best plan is to backup to your hard drive, then occasionally copy that to a CD. In fact, I put a button on my custom toolbar to do a "one-click" backup to my hard drive. I use it whenever I feel I'd done more dat entry than I'd care to do over. It then gets backed up off the machine from there.

You can change the backup destination under File  > Preferences > Current Project Options > Adanced. By default it's the A:\ drive.

Whether you can backup directly to a CD depends on the software you have installed to burn CDs - the "normal" Windows installation cannot do that.

But in any case, I agree with Bob that the best plan is to backup to your hard drive, then occasionally copy that to a CD. In fact, I put a button on my custom toolbar to do a "one-click" backup to my hard drive. I use it whenever I feel I'd done more dat entry than I'd care to do over. It then gets backed up off the machine from there.

It might also be useful to copy the backup file to another computer, maybe in a different part of town/country. If that computer has TMG, load it up to ensure the backup file is ok. You can use a USB drive, CD, email, home network or whatever you have.

If you computer is only a couple of years old, it should have enough disk space to handle many backups. Give each one a name that allows them to be name sorted in date sequence. Then if you accidentally damage part of your data (e.g. deleting a person), you will likely be able to find a backup taken before the damage was done.

Pierce

Give each one a name that allows them to be name sorted in date sequence. Then if you accidentally damage part of your data (e.g. deleting a person), you will likely be able to find a backup taken before the damage was done.

Pierce

TMG's backup wizard does that for you, it includes date and time in the backup name...