Alison

English census citation

I've been strugeling with getting the citation right for the english census. I know that the registrtion district and sub-registration district are not part of the location (I'm thinking of this more like the address of the family) but they seem like they should be part of the citation since that is how the census was organized. How have others dealt with this? Does something like, "1891 U.K. Census, gateshead, RG12/4900/23/5, Smith hosehold" seem appropriate?

Hi Alison,

I am including a screen shot of how I handle the registration district and all the additional information found on the census.

I do it in the Citation Detail, utilizing a macro so that I don't have to re-enter all the pertinent information all the time. The macro can be added by going to TOOLS>TEXT MACROS.

Mine looks like this:

City, County, Country. Civil Parish: , Ecclesiastical Parish: . Parliamentary Division: . Page , No. of Schedule: . Address: . PRO Reference: RG Number/Series: RG, Piece: , Folio: .

That way I can tweak it depending on if there is a space to record the sub district, etc. on the original census page. Otherwise, all I do is fill in the pertinent information.

I hope this helps you!

Siobhan

I've been strugeling with getting the citation right for the english census. I know that the registrtion district and sub-registration district are not part of the location (I'm thinking of this more like the address of the family) but they seem like they should be part of the citation since that is how the census was organized. How have others dealt with this? Does something like, "1891 U.K. Census, gateshead, RG12/4900/23/5, Smith hosehold" seem appropriate?

I see the citation as giving the ability to locate the entry at a later date. So all I see as relevant is the reference and the place. From that someone else would be able to find it.

I have a different source for each census. So I would choose a source of 1891 census with citation detail RG12/4900/23/5, Gateshead Co. Durham.

Thank you both, since I already had my US census set up with split CD's I decided to do the same here and use a mixture of both methods. That way the full citation reads compleate with registration district and parishes, largely to help me search out more records, and the short citation is just enough to find it again. I know that's not quite the idea between the two, but at least for the moment it seems the best to me. Plus it is easy enough to keep imformation from printing in the citations in the future and much harder to go the other way. :D