barbsnow

Trouble editing footnotes in Journal Report

I created a Journal report with footnotes. They are nicely formated. Footnote 1 is single spaced, there is a space or half space between Footnote 1 and 2, but then footnote 2 is single spaced etc. The numbers on the footnotes are easy to read.

When I try to add a footnote though, say between 2 and 3, it renumbers correctly, making my new footnote 2 and changing the one after it from 2 to 3. And it takes my cursor to the footnote window, so I can go ahead and enter the data... in other words, it seems to be working fine.

But two things happen: 1) the text of the newly inserted number is very very small. 2) there is no easy-on-the-eye spacing between the old and new footnote. It follows as one single spaced text block.

I don't understand what TAG is doing to make the footnotes format so nicely... so I can't repeat it on the footnotes I add. Can anyone advise me?

I created a Journal report with footnotes. They are nicely formated. Footnote 1 is single spaced, there is a space or half space between Footnote 1 and 2, but then footnote 2 is single spaced etc. The numbers on the footnotes are easy to read.

When I try to add a footnote though, say between 2 and 3, it renumbers correctly, making my new footnote 2 and changing the one after it from 2 to 3. And it takes my cursor to the footnote window, so I can go ahead and enter the data... in other words, it seems to be working fine.

But two things happen: 1) the text of the newly inserted number is very very small. 2) there is no easy-on-the-eye spacing between the old and new footnote. It follows as one single spaced text block.

I don't understand what TAG is doing to make the footnotes format so nicely... so I can't repeat it on the footnotes I add. Can anyone advise me?

I assume you are adding the new footnote while working in Word. From what I understand you are saying it appears as though the style type attached to the original footnotes is not attatched to the new footnote. I would need to see your document before I can be sure, but assuming that is the case, do the following.

Place the cursor anywhere within footnote 1 and read the style name displayed in the style box (button bar). Compare this with the name displayed when the cursor is in the added footnote. If they are different, then with the cursor in the added footnote, simply select the same style name (using the drop down list associated with the style box) as that of footnote 1.

Alternatively with the cursor in footnote 1, left click the 'Format Painter' button in the button bar, and then select the added footnote. This process should copy the formatting of footnote 1 to footnote 2. This effect can also be achieved using the paste special command.

Descriptions above will vary depending upon the version of Word you are using.

Hope it has helped