Liddellag

GEDCOM import issues

A GEDCOM file originated from the IGI and imported into TMG results in a psudo individual named "Created by FamilySearch Internet" with an address in the memo field of a NOTE tag. This does not exist in the GEDCOM file. Is there any way to supress this unwelcom addition?

Therre are multiple additions to induvidule records of NOTE tags with "PersonSource" in the memo field. None of these exist in the GEDCOM file. Is there any way to supress these unwelcome additions?

When importing the tags: BAPL, ENDL, SLGC, SLGP, and SLGS the subtag DATE is properly handled but the subtag TEMP is added to the memo field as an error. Is there a way this tag can be automaticaly added to the Temple field of the address group?

Best regards;

A GEDCOM file originated from the IGI and imported into TMG results in a psudo individual named "Created by FamilySearch ™ Internet" with an address in the memo field of a NOTE tag. This does not exist in the GEDCOM file. Is there any way to supress this unwelcom addition?

No. This is from the submitter record in the GEDCOM. You could delete the submitter person and the source after import.

Therre are multiple additions to induvidule records of NOTE tags with "PersonSource" in the memo field. None of these exist in the GEDCOM file. Is there any way to supress these unwelcome additions?

I'd need to see a clip from the GEDCOM to understand what you are saying.

When importing the tags: BAPL, ENDL, SLGC, SLGP, and SLGS the subtag DATE is properly handled but the subtag TEMP is added to the memo field as an error. Is there a way this tag can be automaticaly added to the Temple field of the address group?

Again, I'd need to see a clip from the GEDCOM to understand the issue.

No. This is from the submitter record in the GEDCOM. You could delete the submitter person and the source after import.

I'd need to see a clip from the GEDCOM to understand what you are saying.

Again, I'd need to see a clip from the GEDCOM to understand the issue.

Sample GEDCOM clip:

0 @I700146098841@ INDI

1 NAME Anna/Bachman/

1 SEX F

1 BIRT

2 DATE 01 JUL 1736

2 PLAC Bottenwil, Aargau, Switzerland

1 DEAT

2 DATE 20 JUL 1802

1 SOUR @S01@

2 PAGE Film #: 1239621, Ref #: 7708, Page #: 211

1 FAMC @F161424426@

1 NAME Anna/Bachmann/

1 FAMS @F126201414@

1 SOUR @S01@

2 PAGE Film #: 537553

1 SOUR @S01@

2 PAGE Batch #: 8306022, Sheet #: 45, Source Call #: 1395552, Printout Call #: NONE

1 SOUR @S01@

2 PAGE Film #: 1239621, Ref #: 32758, Page #: 889

1 BAPL

2 DATE 11 NOV 1919

1 ENDL

2 DATE 24 JUN 1921

2 TEMP LOGAN

1 SLGC

2 DATE 09 MAY 1923

2 TEMP SLAKE

1 SLGC

2 DATE 21 JAN 1969

2 TEMP HAWAI

1 SLGC

2 DATE 06 FEB 1924

2 TEMP SLAKE

When imported a Note event with "Person Source in the memo field is added to each person. In the case of this individual it was addedfour times.

The LDS ordinance tags are properly added with the date, but the GEDCOM TEMP sub tag translates to "Unknown GEDCOM info: LOGAN" in the memo field. It would be advantages to put the sub tag contents into the Temple field of the address group in TMG.

Best regards;

0 @I700146098841@ INDI

1 SOUR @S01@

2 PAGE Film #: 1239621, Ref #: 7708, Page #: 211

When imported a Note event with "Person Source in the memo field is added to each person. In the case of this individual it was addedfour times.

A 'person source' in not supported in TMG. The import is by design to preserve the data.

The reason that it happened four times is shown by your example. This individual had 4 'person sources'. I think that it would be difficult to consolidate these but we'll see.

1 ENDL

2 DATE 24 JUN 1921

2 TEMP LOGAN

The LDS ordinance tags are properly added with the date, but the GEDCOM TEMP sub tag translates to "Unknown GEDCOM info: LOGAN" in the memo field. It would be advantages to put the sub tag contents into the Temple field of the address group in TMG.

The 1 TEMP tag is legal in the GEDCOM. I'll have to see if this could be adjusted on import. Address group? It would go to the temple field of the place for the LDS event being imported.

I'll revise this after we get a chance to look at the issues.

A 'person source' in not supported in the GEDCOM 5.5 specs nor in TMG. The import is by design to preserve the data.

My copy of the GEDCOM 5.5 spec shows: +1 <<SOURCE CITATION>>, in the INDI record on the line above: +1 <<MULTIMEDIA LINK>> .

The <<SOURCE CITATION>> is defined:

n SOUR @<<XREF:SOURCE>@

+1 PAGE <WHERE WITHIN THE SOURCE>

I think TMG should handle this and properly add the source as citation under the primary Name-Var tag. Adding it as a note event seems a bit starnge unless the full information contained in the subtags is included.

The reason that it happened four times is shown by your example. This individual had 4 'person sources'. I think that it would be difficult to consolidate these but we'll see.

The 1 TEMP tag is legal in the GEDCOM. I'll have to see if this could be adjusted on import. Address group? It would go to the temple field of the place for the LDS event being imported.

I'll revise this after we get a chance to look at the issues.

Sorry, my brain must have been in overload. It should be in the place.

Best regards;

My copy of the GEDCOM 5.5 spec shows: +1 >, in the INDI record on the line above: +1 > .

The > is defined:

n SOUR @@

+1 PAGE

I think TMG should handle this and properly add the source as citation under the primary Name-Var tag.

Oops! Sorry. You're right that the GEDCOM 5.5 specs support a person source. I was having a dim moment.

The person source is not a name source and the name might have sources which differ. If you added the person sources to the primary name, how would you know which sources were the name sources and which were the person sources? The import attempts to preserve and identify the person sources. The only real issue is whether these can be consolidated if more than one exists.

Adding it as a note event seems a bit starnge unless the full information contained in the subtags is included.

Huh? The 'full information contained in the subtags' (the citation detail) is located in the citation after import.

Ah! Now I understand why TMG works the way it does. Nothing needs to be done about he source problem. The duplications if any can be taken care of before import. My lack of understanding was an example of the principle "Computers are dumber than people but are smarter than programers."

The only issue is the transfer of the TEMP tag contents to the Place.Temple field.

Best regards;

Ah! Now I understand why TMG works the way it does. Nothing needs to be done about he source problem. The duplications if any can be taken care of before import. My lack of understanding was an example of the principle "Computers are dumber than people but are smarter than programers."

The only issue is the transfer of the TEMP tag contents to the Place.Temple field.

Best regards;

I also have this problem of TEMP tag contents not being transferred to the Place Temple field. When is this going to be fixed?

I also have this problem of TEMP tag contents not being transferred to the Place Temple field. When is this going to be fixed?

It should be fixed in v6.10.

:) Jim Byram has provided me with an updated gedcom.app file which corrects the import of LDS ordinance data which can be applied to 6.11. My thanks to him and the TMG staff.

Best regards;