206bones

Need help with export

I am fairly new t TMG & I'm getting pretty frustrated with the export feature. :blink: I'm hoping someone can help me.

I will be seeing my uncle on the 4th of July & he has asked for a copy of the genealogy. I had planned on exporting a GEDCOM file on CD for him, as he has a Mac. He also has a PC that he uses when needed. I have been unsuccessful at saving to a CD.

Then I figured I could save in Word, as other people had talked about, & he could take it from there. Well....I'm still trying to figure out how to save in Word.

I'm usually pretty computer literate but this program has me baffled. I have purchased the DVDs so I can learn the program better but I'm going to run out of time before the 4th to see everything!

Can someone please help me?

Thanks! Cindy :wacko:

I am fairly new t TMG & I'm getting pretty frustrated with the export feature. :blink: I'm hoping someone can help me.

I will be seeing my uncle on the 4th of July & he has asked for a copy of the genealogy. I had planned on exporting a GEDCOM file on CD for him, as he has a Mac. He also has a PC that he uses when needed. I have been unsuccessful at saving to a CD.

Then I figured I could save in Word, as other people had talked about, & he could take it from there. Well....I'm still trying to figure out how to save in Word.

I'm usually pretty computer literate but this program has me baffled. I have purchased the DVDs so I can learn the program better but I'm going to run out of time before the 4th to see everything!

Can someone please help me?

Thanks! Cindy :wacko:

If you were trying to export the GEDCOM directly from TMG to the CD, instead export the gedcom file to a folder on your computer and then copy/burn that .ged file to your CD. Depending on the type of CD software you have, you may not be able to save directly to a CD.

Virginia

Is he prepared to import the GEDCOM into a genealogy program on his computer? If not, a GEDCOM is pretty difficulty to understand.

If so, I'd suggest you create the GEDCOM to your hard drive, then burn it to a CD, as Virginia suggests.

To save a report to Word, choose the desired report from the Reports menu. Then, in the "Print to" box, choose File. After doing that, select the version of Word for Windows in the drop-down list. Finally, enter a File name for the file in the field below the File Type.

Another good alternative, but perhaps not as useful given your tight timeframe, is to create a website from your TMG data with Second Site, and copy that to a CD. Then anyone can read it with an ordinary web browser.

Thanks for the help!!! I was able to save on my computer then copy to the CD.

Thank you.

C

Just a thought.

As Terry mentioned, if you do not know the full capabilities of your uncle's genealogy program, there are more things that you can give to him in addition to the GEDCOM. For example, a CD can hold much more than a single GEDCOM.

Consider:

Generate an Ahnentafel Report to disk in your mutual word processor format and copy that file to CD with the GEDCOM. If the report is not too long, you could also print it for him.

Generate some pretty box charts on some of your uncle's interests and print them so that he can see and discuss something right away. These can also be exported to your favorite bitmap graphics format and copied to the CD in case he later wants more copies.

Remember, on a pc there are two ways to complete the CD copy. You can make it so that more files can be added later, great if you know the intimacies of unlce's CD drive/software. Or you can close the CD so that no more files can be added. Unfortunately, this second way is compatable with more CD drives/software.

The possibilities are almost endless, been there before, best wishes,

Mike Talbot