rritger

Migrating from FTW to TMG

I hope to move my FTW 2005 database of about 19,000 individuals over to TMG. I've been trying different import options with TMG and have not had the kind of success I was expecting. Maybe you have a suggestion on how to improve my results? Maybe there is something I can do in FTW to help smooth things out before I import to TMG? Here are some of the issues so far:

• In FTW I have 270 sources - after import of my .FTW file into TMG I get only 36. All census data merged from Ancestry.com is missing as are many other sources.
  • If I import a GEDCOM of the same file I get all of the missing sources in TMG.
  • If I import my data via GEDCOM all Social Security Numbers and other data types import as places (in the Country field). The import wizard doesn't allow me to map tag types as is available when I import .FTW files.
  • If I import my data as a .FTW then SSN numbers and other data come across OK after I've mapped things properly.

Thanks for any suggestions.

-Bob

[*]In FTW I have 270 sources - after import of my .FTW file into TMG I get only 36. All census data merged from Ancestry.com is missing as are many other sources.

[*]If I import a GEDCOM of the same file I get all of the missing sources in TMG.

This is a known issue. It's a problem with citation import, not source import. The mssing sources are a side-effect. In some instances, citations are lost or point to source #0. This results in all sources with no citations to the source being omitted.

The programmer has been working on this for some time. He 'fixes' it, I break it. Hopefully, this will be resolved soon. The only work-around, for the moment, is to use GEDCOM import.

[*]If I import my data via GEDCOM all Social Security Numbers and other data types import as places (in the Country field). The import wizard doesn't allow me to map tag types as is available when I import .FTW files.

[*]If I import my data as a .FTW then SSN numbers and other data come across OK after I've mapped things properly.

That's the case. Importing from FTM to anything is plagued by this issue of FTM using one field for two data types.

Jim:

Thanks for the reply.

It's a problem with citation import, not source import. The programmer has been working on this for some time. He 'fixes' it, I break it. Hopefully, this will be resolved soon. The only work-around, for the moment, is to use GEDCOM import.

Ouch, so there are no edits I can make to my FTW sources/citations that will make them survive the TMG import?

Importing from FTM to anything is plagued by this issue of FTM using one field for two data types.

I'm curious if I had to use GEDCOM for my imports if there was any text pre-processing I could do on the GEDCOM before importing it into TMG that would change those bits of data that are treated as places to be handled differently?

Is there any third party application that could be used as an intermediate step that might keep things in order?

Edited by rritger

Ouch, so there are no edits I can make to my FTW sources/citations that will make them survive the TMG import?

The issue is subtle changes in the FTM database from version to version and trying to get the import code to deal with those changes.

I'm curious if I had to use GEDCOM for my imports if there was any text pre-processing I could do on the GEDCOM before importing it into TMG that would change those bits of data that are treated as places to be handled differently?

Is there any third party application that could be used as an intermediate step that might keep things in order?

The problem is the need to check every event in the GEDCOM to determine if the data for that event is comment or place. Since it has to be done event-by-event, I don't see how a utility could be designed to help.

[*]If I import my data via GEDCOM all Social Security Numbers and other data types import as places (in the Country field). The import wizard doesn't allow me to map tag types as is available when I import .FTW files.

The problem is how FTM exports the SSN fact.

1 SSN

2 PLAC 123-45-6789

TMG imports this correctly as structured but that's not what is wanted.

A correct GEDCOM SSN tag should be:

1 SSN 123-45-6789

TMG will import this with the SSN going to the memo field of the SSN tag.

The FTM GEDCOM can be corrected by a global search and replace in Word which allows wildcards.

Search for: '1 SSN*PLAC'

and replace with: '1 SSN'

Using wildcards in Word allows many global GEDCOM edits that would be impossible otherwise. The edited GEDCOM file must be saved as an ANSI text file and the final GEDCOM must have a filetype of .GED.

Whether this approach can be applied to other FTM facts that were exported to GEDCOM depends on the GEDCOM tag and the subordinate tags. Most others are much more difficult to correct than SSN and may not be amenable to the global search and replace approach.

Jim:

Thanks! I'll give this a try and see what else I may be able to correct via text editing of the GEDCOM file.

-Bob