chornung

Reading VCF backups from CD

Did a backup to DVD of several vcf charts I'm working on, and file listing of DVD from Win (XP) Explorer shows all files burned fine. The burn, including verification, was successful, and I can open an Excel file that was burned at the same time.

However, when I File > Open in vcf and try to open a file from the DVD, I get "The parameter is incorrect" error message and can't open the file. I've tried opening several .vcf files from the DVD, all with the same results. Accessing the exact same files from my hard drive it was burned from opens fine.

Before I burn another, does anyone have any ideas? Confucius sure knew what he was talking about when he said, "Always check disc before deleting files from hard drive."

Thanks! ~Carol in Detroit

Virginia -

Good thought about bringing a file back to the hard drive from DVD and trying to open it there. Yes, that does work. And naturally the Read Only attribute is set on the DVD. So apparently vcf doesn't like not being able to "converse" with the original file that was opened. Good to know.

Therefore, I guess the answer is to not expect to open the file directly from the CD/DVD and doing a Save As to save changes. Good to know!

Thanks for helping me think this one through. ~Carol