MMj

Question Regarding Children of Last Viewed Spouse?

Could someone please explain the way that the checkmark for children of the last viewed spouse in the Children form works? In my database, it appears to be working inconsistently, and I don't know if I am doing something incorrectly, if I have a problem with my data, or if there is a bug in the software. All of my data was imported into TMG a couple of weeks ago, and none of the data in the following example has since been modified. I am only going to cite a single example, but this behavior seems consistent throughout my database.

I have a gentleman in my database who had 5 children by two different spouses. He was married to the first wife in 1649 and had children by her in 1651, 1653 and 1655. The first wife died around 1659 and he remarried in 1661. He then had 2 more children by her, 1 in 1662 and 1 in 1665.

Whenever I view his record in the Details form, the 2 children by the second wife are checked in the Children form and the 3 children by the first wife have no checkmark. If I bring up the second wife in the Details form it shows those same 2 children with checkmarks. If I then bring up the record for the first wife, it shows the 3 children by her with checkmarks. But when I return to the father's record, it still shows checkmarks for only the children by the second wife.

Is this behaving properly?

Could someone please explain the way that the checkmark for children of the last viewed spouse in the Children form works? In my database, it appears to be working inconsistently, and I don't know if I am doing something incorrectly, if I have a problem with my data, or if there is a bug in the software. All of my data was imported into TMG a couple of weeks ago, and none of the data in the following example has since been modified. I am only going to cite a single example, but this behavior seems consistent throughout my database.

I have a gentleman in my database who had 5 children by two different spouses. He was married to the first wife in 1649 and had children by her in 1651, 1653 and 1655. The first wife died around 1659 and he remarried in 1661. He then had 2 more children by her, 1 in 1662 and 1 in 1665.

Whenever I view his record in the Details form, the 2 children by the second wife are checked in the Children form and the 3 children by the first wife have no checkmark. If I bring up the second wife in the Details form it shows those same 2 children with checkmarks. If I then bring up the record for the first wife, it shows the 3 children by her with checkmarks. But when I return to the father's record, it still shows checkmarks for only the children by the second wife.

Is this behaving properly?

The check marks are controlled by the which spouse was last viewed in the Family or Tree View for the individual. In the case you stated above it looks like each of his wifes were married only once so the check marks show for their children in their views. In his view, the second wife is evidently the one that is indicated as being last view in either the Family or Tree View and thus the check mark shows for her children in his Detail View. If you go to the Family or Tree View for him and click on the Spouse Button to change the spouse to his first wife and then return to his Detail View you will find that the three children by his first wife now have the check marks.

Oh, I see, when I do it that way it works fine. I was simply shifting from spouse to spouse by double clicking on spouse names in the Person section of the Detail view and when I did that it never updated the checkmarks, regardless of who was the last spouse whose record had been visible in the Detail view.

Thanks