Alison

Living and Gedcom Export

I know that you can either completely exclude the living from export, or include just their names and no details but is there a way to include no details and replace the first name with "Living" or something similer? I know some web sites claim to do this automatically but there are short comings with these, and I already have my living flags set properly in TMG. (I'm maily looking to post on world connect if it helps)

No, there is no such option.

But why would you want to anyway? I find those lists of "Living Jones" with lots "Living Jones" children of no value, and in fact annoying (truth is, I tend to ignore files that contain them). My suggestion is to leave off living people altogether.

No, there is no such option.

But why would you want to anyway? I find those lists of "Living Jones" with lots "Living Jones" children of no value, and in fact annoying (truth is, I tend to ignore files that contain them). My suggestion is to leave off living people altogether.

Truth is I agree with you but since two of my brick walls are the second deceased generation, as embarrassing as it is to admit that, it might prove useful to other researchers to see the number of children, and the surname they married.

As I post this I realize I could accomplish the same thing with a note tag.... showing the number of children and what families are connected there which I don't include in reports but do include in the export...... hmmm...

Sounds like a good solution to me. I'd suggest a custom tag type that you can select for export but exclude from any other reports.

That's exactly what I was thinking! I think I've been reading your site so much I'm starting to think like you :D

PS. I know it's off topic, but thank you for making and maintaining your wonderful help site, it has really helped me to understand much of how TMG works.