Laurie

Name Style Alternate Labels

I posted this on TMG-L a while ago, but although Jim Byram suggested some things to try, nothing seemed to work.

This is just a nuisance thing, but that sort of thing is what drives me nuts. Somehow I managed to get a blank alternate label in the Title name part. Well, I know how it got there, I put it there thinking I could use it to denote which name parts aren't used by a style, but apparently a label can only be used for one name part at a time so I couldn't make several blank.

Anyway, I can't get rid of it. Can anyone think of a way to get rid of this "blank?" It bothers me when I go to make a new style or a filter and there is that blank line staring at me, mocking me, sticking its imaginary tongue out at me. (See what I mean by nuts?)

I deleted all the custom styles (even the initial "My Custom Style"), changing all places to the US Standard Place (or whatever it's called). Then I optimized. I then created a new custom style. When I clicked on the Title label (as if to change the label) the blank is still there.

I tried to copy my people to a new project, but that blank label came with them. I tried a bunch of other stuff too, but those things wouldn't seem to have any bearing on name part labels (and of course didn't fix the problem).

Is there somewhere within the data tables where this label is stored and can be deleted (by someone who knows how of course, not by me)?

I realize this is not a major, data losing problem, but it is distracting to me.

Thanks for any help.

Laurie

Laurie,

Try this:

Go to the level where the blank is, and right click on the field. The message, MODIFY LABELS AT THIS LEVEL. Once there, highlight the blank and click on DELETE. Does that remove it?

No Teresa,

Unfortunately, it doesn't delete it. It won't let me highlight it even, like I could with the labels that had characters in it. It's just there, mocking me. . . (Oh I already said that didn't I?

Oh well, you are just going to have to ignore it then. <G> That's weird that it's there, but you can't highlight it and delete it. I will try and see if the labels are in the language file. IF they are, maybe you could rename it in another language, and then delete it.

Okay, Try this. Go to FILE>LANGUAGE>CUSTOMIZE and select ENGLISH2

Now search through the list until you find a blank line. There shouldn't be one, so if you find one, that will be your problem child. In the right hand column name it something like BILLY BOB.

Now go to the level where the blank was, it should now read BILLY BOB (you may have to change your default language to ENGLISH2), and right click on the field. The message, MODIFY LABELS AT THIS LEVEL. Once there, highlight the blank and click on DELETE. Does that remove it?

Let me know how it goes.

Okay, Try this. Go to FILE>LANGUAGE>CUSTOMIZE and select ENGLISH2 Now search through the list until you find a blank line.

Unfortunately, all the lines in English2 are blank. As are all the lines in my custom language (only used for tag sentences so far).

Sorry,

Wasn't clear. You need to look for the blank on the ENGLISH side. Then in the ENGLISH 2 side, you need to type in BILLY BOB. Then we can delete it.

Ah, that makes more sense. Should've figured that out when all the lines were empty. <wait while I try it> It sounded like such a good idea, but there were no blank lines in "English".

Thanks for the suggestions, Teresa.