Guest ProudFossil

Missing Citation and sureties

Guest ProudFossil

Every once in a while (about 10 percent of the time) after I run the Validate File Integrity function the citation and associated sureties for a Marriage event will disappear. It just happened on an event which had been posted over 60 days ago. It apparantly only happens if there is a single citation. There is no correlation to how long the event has been in the database. Any ideas or suggestions are very welcome. Thank you

Michael Dietz

This appears to be a problem with Add Person when a parent is added and you are prompted to add a Marriage between the two parents and click [Yes] to add the marriage. At that point, citations in one or more Marriage tags for other people are lost. VFI is just cleaning the results of the Add Person process and there is not a VFI problem.

Before your report, this issue was only seen in one beta testers project and couldn't be replicated in any other project tested. And in this case, the citation added in Add Person and the citations being lost from other Marriage tags were all to the same source.

This took a long time to pin down and should be fixed in the next update. You will find some Marriage tag citations missing and need to fix those.

Guest ProudFossil

Thank you Jim. One of the tech support people contacted me as requested .sqz files before and after the loss. Hopefully by saving a snapshot before the VFI and then one after they may be able to pinpoint the problem.

Mike

I'm encountering a very similiar issue.

I've recently got back into data entry mode, and I have been really frustrated with what seems to be a bug with the Source/Citation feature. I add a birth tag for an individual, where I input the date, and maybe a location if it's mention in the baptism record. I then proceed to select the proper citation and the appropriate sureties for "1", "D" and "L" (if applicable). I click on OK. I then see in the detail window the birth tag, with a check mark in "S" column and the sureties displayed on the far right.

I add a baptism tag, where I input the date, location, the sponsors in the memo field, followed by the proper citation and the appropriate sureties for "1",

"D", "L" and "M". I click on OK. I then see in the detail window the baptism tag with a check mark in the "S" column and the sureties are displayed on the

far right.

When I look at the birth tag, the check mark in the "S" column has disappeared but the sureties are still displayed. If re-open the birth tag, and correct the

citation by adding the source and the sureties again, the check mark disappears in the "S" column for the baptism tag.

Here is what I posted on TMG-L concerning my issue with Citation and Sureties

By the way, I am using the lastest version of TMG.

Let me describe step by step what I am doing....

First the baptism record are from a book that was published in 1993. So I previously created the source for the book. Since this is from a book, I use the same source for all of the baptism records. In my case it's source 2873.

Let give the full context. Several years ago, I had entered all of this data in a another software (Griot Alternative). Since this software wasn't being produces and supported anymore, I switch to Brother's Keepers. After a few verification, I was convinced that the conversion had gone smoothly, several months later, I discovered that many baptism and dates did not convert properly. But it was too late.... Let's fast forward... I converted to TMG

about 6 months ago... This was the perfect occasion to clean out my data and re-enter some of the lost data... So all of the individuals that I am concerned with are already entered in the database, except that many time the birth tag is incomplete and the baptism tag is missing.

Here goes:

1 - I locate the individual to be modified

2 - I double-click on the birth tag.

3 - I enter the correct date in the Date field, then I press <Tab>. (Tab by habit more than anything else)

4 - Then I click in the Citation area to make it active

5 - I press <F3>, to repeat the last citation used, since it's the same one.

6 - Then I double-click on the added citation, then I press <Tab> four times. This moves the cursor to the "1" box.

7 - I type 2. This moves the cursor to the "D" box.

8 - I type 2. This moves the cursor to the "L" box.

9 - I click on OK. This returns me to the Birth tag.

10 - I click on OK. I can then see the check mark in the S column and the sureties for the birth tag.

11 - I press <F4>.

12 - I double-click on baptism to add a new baptism tag.

13 - I type the date in the Date field, then I press <Tab>.

14 - I click in the Detail field, then I press <F2>.

15 - I type in the Search text box at the top, the parish name to locate the parish name.

16 - I double-click on the parish name to select it.

17 - I click in the Memo field, then I type the name of the godparents.

18 - I click in the Citation area to make it active.

19 - I press <F3> to repeat the last citation used.

20 - I double-click on the newly added citation, then I press <Tab> four times. This moves the cursor to the "1" box.

21 - I type 2. This moves the cursor to the "D" box.

22 - I type 2. This moves the cursor to the "L" box.

23 - I type 2. This moves the cursor to the "M" box.

24 - I type 2.

25 - I click on OK. This returns me to the baptism tag.

26 - I click on OK. I can then see the check mark in the S column and the sureties for the baptism tag. The check mark in S column for the birth tag has disappeared, but the sureties are still visible.

27 - I double-click on the birth tag to fix this.

28 - I click in the citation area, then I press <F3>.

29 - I double-click on the citation, then I add the sureties, click on OK twice. The check mark now appears for the birth tag with the sureties, but the check mark has now disappeared for the baptism record.

30 - I could go back and forth between the tags to fix them all night if I wanted too.

If I don't put any sureties, this does not happen. I noticed that I enter the citation. Close the tag, the double-click back on the tag, then add the sureties to the citation, then it will not happen.

This is very weird and frustrating, because it slows me way down with my data entry.

Do you see anything that I am doing wrong? Or an easier workaround than what I am doing?

Gilles

I'm encountering a very similiar issue.

Unfortunately, it's a completely different issue. Looking... I suspect that a backup of your project is going to be required.

You need to make a backup with nothing included except the project data files... nothing else. Your 155Mb backup likely includes something in addition to the data files.

Send me an email by clicking on the link below and I'll tell you how to upload the backup.

Jim Byram