Grimesgang

Wishlist - Better GEDCOM Translation/Access Files

I have used Family Matters for years, and have tons of data in it. When I did a GEDCOM import from Family Matters to TMG, it was a nightmare. I have spent months since then trying to clean up place designations, events are all over the place, and all my citations are essentially ignored and must be re-entered (several thousand of them). Sources are jumbled, and FM has a data area known as Chronicles, which is a free-form data area where one can put in any type of character-based information. I use it largely for transcribed obituaries, but anything could be put in. These chronicles end up as some type of weird data type and largely lost in TMG. Pictures do not translate into TMG exhibits. All this needed cleanup is what has kept me from switching to TMG to date.

The base of FM is MS Access. I would think that FM should be able to translate far better to TMG than it does, and in a direct way rather than through GEDCOM.

Would you please send me a sample Family Matters-created GEDCOM with all of the data types that you describe so that I can take a look?

Click on the link below for my email:

Jim Byram