SherryC

6.11 Entering Source problem

I am working in version 6.11 and since my data was just recently brought in I am going through my Master Source List. I choose Letter (Annotated Citation) and properly entered data where it should be. When I look at the Preview in the Output Form for Full Footnote it's jumbled??? Here's what I do below...

Data entered...

Title... Letters from Elisabeth Hanssen Angel

Record Type... letters

Author... Elisabeth Hanssen Angel

Recipient... Sherry Breeding Chandler (1779 Kickapoo Street, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150)

Mind you the only choices for entering data are...

Source Type

Title

record type

Author

Date

Author Address

The Full Footnote Preview...

Letter from Elisabeth Hanssen Angel (unknown author address) to South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150) Sherry Breeding Chandler (1779 Kickapoo Street; unknown repository (unknown repository address). The late Elisabeth Hanssen Angel sent many letters and hand copied documents from from the Clay County Archives in Liberty, Missouri & written notes left by her mother, Sarah Esther Blevins Hanssen.<, [CD]>.

I am working in version 6.11 and since my data was just recently brought in I am going through my Master Source List. I choose Letter (Annotated Citation) and properly entered data where it should be. When I look at the Preview in the Output Form for Full Footnote it's jumbled??? Here's what I do below...

Data entered...

Title... Letters from Elisabeth Hanssen Angel

Record Type... letters

Author... Elisabeth Hanssen Angel

Recipient... Sherry Breeding Chandler (1779 Kickapoo Street, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150)

Mind you the only choices for entering data are...

Source Type

Title

record type

Author

Date

Author Address

The Full Footnote Preview...

Letter from Elisabeth Hanssen Angel (unknown author address) to South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150) Sherry Breeding Chandler (1779 Kickapoo Street; unknown repository (unknown repository address). The late Elisabeth Hanssen Angel sent many letters and hand copied documents from from the Clay County Archives in Liberty, Missouri & written notes left by her mother, Sarah Esther Blevins Hanssen.<, [CD]>.

Fields that are designed for names such as Author, Recipient etc. are designed to entered Surname, GivenName and TMG arranges the name properly according to standard rules for full footnote, short footnote, and bibliography. Since you have a comma in Recipient, TMG reads is as:

Surname: Sherry Breeding Chandler (1779 Kickapoo Street

GivenName: South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150)

Full Footnote format calls for the Recipient to be printed GivenName Surname so you end up with

South Lake Tahoe, Ca 96150) Sherry Breeding Chandler (1779 Kickapoo Street

Thank you for replying!

The reason I put the address in parenthsis was following the example from "Evidence" for a Letter. The choices given in TMG for Letter had only an address for the Author. The format for output included addresses for both Author and Recipient. If I didn't include my address in my Recipient box it would not have shown as in the "Evidence" example?

I was wondering if some info boxes were missing from the Letter choice?

AND ... if I put GivenName, Surname it would read as such and I wasn't looking for surname first necessarily.

I guess I am not quite understanding what you put where :huh:

Sherry

Thank you for replying!

The reason I put the address in parenthsis was following the example from "Evidence" for a Letter. The choices given in TMG for Letter had only an address for the Author. The format for output included addresses for both Author and Recipient. If I didn't include my address in my Recipient box it would not have shown as in the "Evidence" example?

I was wondering if some info boxes were missing from the Letter choice?

AND ... if I put GivenName, Surname it would read as such and I wasn't looking for surname first necessarily.

I guess I am not quite understanding what you put where :huh:

Sherry

Since you are the recipient of the letter you are the repository of the letter. Your address should go in the repository information.

If you don't wish to do that you can add fields to the "recipient address" to the source template, just be sure to add it to the output templates where you want it to print.

Do you mean I can click on the buttons in the Template to add more info?

In the Source Definition Window click on the button to the left of a blank line. This opens a list of Source Elements. Select the one you want to add, i.e., Recipient Address, and click on Select. This adds the element to the definition window. To get it to print you must add the element <[RECIPIENT ADDRESS]> to the proper template on the Output Form tab for Full Footnote, Short Footnote, and Bibliography.

Do you mean I can click on the buttons in the Template to add more info?

As Paul says, the standard template is designed for you to enter a "repository" of the letter, presumably yourself. In the example in Evidence!, the phrase "held in 1996 by Mills" would come from the repository.

The address in her example is not the address of the recipient, but rather the address of the repository (although since both are her, that's not totally clear). Thus TMG's template expects you to enter the address in the Repository, then attach the repository to the source.

See my Source Tutorial for details on how to do that.

Alternatively, Paul is suggesting that you add another source element to the output templates for the address. You do this on the Output Forms tab of the source Definition screen. You could remove the three repository elements, and add instead the element [RECIPIENT ADDRESS] in the place in the full footnote and short footnote templates. Once you add it there, it will appear on the General tab of the Source Definition screen, where you can enter the data.

I'd point out that doing this would not produce footnotes totally following Ms. Mills' example - if that matters to you. :)

More details on customizing sources can be found in the articles on customizing sources - the link is at the bottom of my Source Tutorial mentioned above.

Thanks guys! I surely do appreciate all the help.

I was trying to follow what I found in the "Evidence" book ... thank you Terry for telling me about it ... but I did not see any Repository choices in the Template and did not know that it was okay to add more.

I am not picky but want my sources to make sense as I have been too freeform in the past and since I am, in essence, starting over I'd like to do it right. I had thought that you filled in the blanks and that is what was required.

It's a bit difficult to see the DVD, then look in Help, then check the Forum, then write to a few people ... and ... then put it all together with what "I" would like.

It is so wonderful that you are all there for advice!!!

Sherry

PS... I note here that when I tried to change the code in the Full Footnote before writing to the Forum, it listed "overridden" under the Title Footnote ... I think it ... and I wasn't sure if that was okay?

Thanks guys! I surely do appreciate all the help.

You're welcome! :)

I was trying to follow what I found in the "Evidence" book ... thank you Terry for telling me about it ... but I did not see any Repository choices in the Template and did not know that it was okay to add more.

Repositories are added to the Source Definition on the "Attachments" tab - as illustrated in my Sources Tutorial.

PS... I note here that when I tried to change the code in the Full Footnote before writing to the Forum, it listed "overridden" under the Title Footnote ... I think it ... and I wasn't sure if that was okay?

Yes, that's what should happen. It means that for this source you have "overridden" the default template (the one in the Source Type) - thus creating one specifically for this one source.