Nick Shelley

Where is the Table of Contents in a Descendant Indented Narrative Word report?

Can anyone tell me what happens to the table of contents (when chosen) in a Descendant Indented Narrative report when sent to Word? It does not appear 'naturally' as the Bibliography and Endnotes do and when I ask Word to create one, whether I pre-select the text of not, it tells me that no table of contents entries were found.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a bug?

Nick Shelley

Can anyone tell me what happens to the table of contents (when chosen) in a Descendant Indented Narrative report when sent to Word? It does not appear 'naturally' as the Bibliography and Endnotes do and when I ask Word to create one, whether I pre-select the text of not, it tells me that no table of contents entries were found.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a bug?

Nick Shelley

Hi, Nick,

when you have the Descendant Indented Narrative report opened in Word for Windows click on Insert > Reference > Index and Tables...

from the "Index and Tables" screen go to the tab "Table of Contents" (TOC) and click in the lower right on the "Options..." button

another sub-window opens "Table of Contents Options" and on the lower left please check the box "Table entry fields" and then say OK to all screens.

Now the TOC should appear in your word document.

(If you use a different word processor then the way to make the Table of contents appear here may differ from this description. It's word processor specific process.)

Many thanks, Vera, that's super!

I wasn't aware of the final options stage

Nick

Hi, Nick,

when you have the Descendant Indented Narrative report opened in Word for Windows click on Insert > Reference > Index and Tables...

from the "Index and Tables" screen go to the tab "Table of Contents" (TOC) and click in the lower right on the "Options..." button

another sub-window opens "Table of Contents Options" and on the lower left please check the box "Table entry fields" and then say OK to all screens.

Now the TOC should appear in your word document.

(If you use a different word processor then the way to make the Table of contents appear here may differ from this description. It's word processor specific process.)

Many thanks, Vera, that's super!

I wasn't aware of the final options stage

Nick

You're welcome, Nick. :)

From time to time I run into the same and wonder why the TOC isn't shown or why I get that error message. And every time that happens to me I begin to remember..... well wasn't there that little tiny box you have to check.... and yes > Problem solved. ;)