Allen C.

bibliography entry without citation

<_< I think it would be useful to be able to add a source to the bibliography without having to cite it as a footnote/endnote. I am thinking about situations where the source details are discussed in the text so that a citation is not necessary. I still would want to include the source in the bibliograpjhy. This is an attempt to reduce the number of citations. It is my understanding that other programs offer this feature.

Allen C.

Previously others have suggested a custom source type where the FF and SS templates consist of only two dashes (the double exclusion mark), and then cite this. Unfortunately, this still produces a numbered footnote or endnote citation, but the citation consists of only a period, which some of us consider to be a bug. However, that is how the program currently works. In my opinion, a custom source type like this is precisely how one "should" be able to do this in TMG, but you can't with the current version. I agree with your wish, and hope that a future version of TMG will deal appropriately with such a source type.

The only method I have seen to have a larger bibliography than the non-excluded citations requires a "trick" using what are often called "pseudo" people in the dataset.

For various reasons some prefer to have multiple projects and datasets, but desire to have some or all of the sources available in the Master Source List of every dataset and project whether they are (yet) cited on a tag in that dataset or not. The trick is to have a "pseudo" person in the dataset that has a special tag where you have cited once every source you want in the Master Source List, then export and merge that person as needed. (You might also choose for this "person" to have one each of every custom tag type for ease in exporting those.) Usually the dataset has a custom flag with a value to indicate this is a "pseudo" person so that filtering on the flag will exclude this "person" from "normal" reports, etc.

If you create such a "person" and cite every source that you want in the bibliography on one of its tags, you can print a report of just that one person. That produces a "master" bibliography. Next print your "normal" report, excluding and keeping citations with endnotes/footnotes as you desire and print that report. Now just replace the bibliography from that report with the "master" bibliography. Takes a little bit of time to set up, i.e. citing once each source on that one tag that you want in the bibliography, and remembering to add new sources to this "person" as well, but this might do what you want.

Hope this gives you ideas,