mike clamp

Exhibit abbreviation field length

I am performing a One Name Study and am currently up to my 26500th source. Even after encoding my source and exhibit abbreviations by using Chapman County Codes and Bardsey Name Codes, etc. I am still having trouble creating meaningful Exhibit Abbreviations. This is because the Source Abbreviation field has a length of 50 bytes but the Exhibit Abbreviation field has a length of only 30 bytes. Could we restore the historical link between the two fields lengths by increasing the Exhibit Abbreviation field length please.

By the Exhibit "Abbreviation" field I presume you mean the Exhibit "Topic" field, and its length is short. For this reason I have chosen to put the source abbreviation from which this is a text exhibit in the "Caption" field, but that may not work for you for non-text exhibits. The only other option is the Exhibit "Description" field, but I have yet to find a way to access the exhibit description for printing within TMG, so its use is limited.

I share your frustration over the short Caption field

By the Exhibit "Abbreviation" field I presume you mean the Exhibit "Topic" field, and its length is short. For this reason I have chosen to put the source abbreviation from which this is a text exhibit in the "Caption" field, but that may not work for you for non-text exhibits. The only other option is the Exhibit "Description" field, but I have yet to find a way to access the exhibit description for printing within TMG, so its use is limited.

I share your frustration over the short Caption field

Thanks for you comments. You are right, it is the topic field that I am talking about. I cannot see the logic of having this field shorter than the source field to which it is related. After all you would probably have more than one exhibit associated with a source (especially now that you can download General Register Office Index page images and Census images) and thus to keep them grouped together you would want to expand on the source abbreviation for each exhibit topic.