Leslie1899

Solving WordPerfect Footnote Size Problems

I had insolvable footnote problems with reports sent from TMG to my WordPerfect software. I’m running TMG v6.12 and WP X3. No one seemed able to help me change the forced formatting which left my footnotes in the same point size type as the text of my report. I had too many footnotes (more than 800 on a one-generation report) to do a simple Find and Replace fix.

Several people tried to help on the WordPerfect Universe Forum (an excellent place from which to get WP help at WordPerfect Universe), but Kenneth Hobson went out of his way to write a fast macro that solves the problem. I am attaching this macro for anybody using WordPerfect who has the same problem with WordPerfect footnotes.

Here’s what you need to know when running this macroFontCorrect.zip:

1. I advise using WordPerfect version 5.1 or later in the Print to file: File Type option. Using other WordPerfect versions created different problems which probably could be solved if one re-wrote the macro. For example, when I outputted to WP v8 or later and ran the macro, all my superscript footnote numbers in the footnotes were deleted while the superscript numbers in the body of the text were, of course, left alone.

2. Kenneth wrote the macro in the simplest way, so that I could understand what was happening. As a result it isn’t as elegant as he might have made it. Two things happen that might alarm you:

a) as the macro runs through your report, it initially flickers with the first page showing, the next thing that happens is the pages “white out.” Don’t be alarmed by this. The macro is working.

B) when the macro has finished running, you will get a message to the effect that the “last footnote couldn’t be found.” Click OK in the message box. Once you’ve clicked OK, your report will open with the footnotes properly formatted.

3. This macro is written using Times New Roman font codes. However, Kenneth sent me the codes for report output in Arial with the text in 10 point and the footnotes in 8 point type. They are:

Font (Name: "Arial "; Family: 16662; Attributes: FontMatchNormal!; Weight: 90; Width: WidthUnknown!; Source: PRSFile!; Type: 0; CharacterSet: FontMatchASCII!) FontSize (FontSize: 0.111") //8pt

To substitute the above or other font codes, open the macro and remove the Times New Roman codes. If you elect to cut and paste these settings (as with any code you cut and paste from a website), you must copy the desired text; then go to the Edit option on your WordPerfect tool bar, click Paste Special, and highlight Unformatted text and finally click OK. Do not try to simply paste the codes into the macro. For complete details, go to WordPerfect Universe Forum .

4. To obtain the correct numbers for other font types and sizes, Kenneth says, “You can record a macro to see how the font and font size codes are used. Then copy and paste the code from the recorded macro to your other one. Another option is to add some blank lines to your first one and press the record button on the macro toolbar and set your font. Press the Stop button to stop recording.”

If you have further questions, don’t hesitate to email me at tturner@houston.rr.com . I take absolutely no credit for this macro; I simply want everyone to have access to it. Kenneth Hobson gets all the credit!

Toby Turner

Edited by Leslie1899