jgr

Witness memos and how to use them

I posted this message in response to a message of Terry's in another thread:

I'm in the process of learning your [census] method (and I'm very grateful to you for putting the work in on this!!) but have run into a snag. I'd like to have the report for the parents include the memo info for the witness children (Father and Mother were enumerated on that census at this location... Living with them were their children Son, age 12, born TX, attending school, Daughter, age 10, born OK, attending school and Son, age 5, born OK). The info in bold is in the witness memo fields, but I can't quite figure out how to write the sentences to get that to appear with the parents. Help??? Thanks.

I've come to realize that I don't understand Witness Memos very well at all. Is there some primer as to how to use them?

I don't think so.

But they are really pretty simple, and won't do the sort of thing you are trying to do here. You can only refer to the Witness Memo from the sentence for that Witness. There is no provision for calling a Witness Memo from the sentence of a Principal or another Witness.

Doing so would require some method of telling TMG which Witness the WM was attached to, and there is no such provision. :(

The only way to do what you have in mind is use segments of the main tag Memo.

But they are really pretty simple, and won't do the sort of thing you are trying to do here. You can only refer to the Witness Memo from the sentence for that Witness. There is no provision for calling a Witness Memo from the sentence of a Principal or another Witness. Doing so would require some method of telling TMG which Witness the WM was attached to, and there is no such provision. :(

Well, I'm glad I wasn't missing something simple, but sorry this can't be done the way I'd like. Darn. Thanks for your help and, again, thanks for posting the system.