Philip Hunt

In law relationships

I've allowed my family tree to get so big (over 5000 records) that sometimes I can't work out how any of these people are related to me. TMG lets me see if they are related directly to me, but what if the relationship is through a number of marriages to my 3rd cousin and his first cousin's husband's sister-in-law? What I need is a way to create a chart, or a list, or something that would let me see how one record was CONNECTED to another even if it were through a series of marriages. Can I do that?

Philip, Boronia, Australia

I agree, I've been looking for a way to display the COMPLETE genealogical path between two people regardless of blood relationship or not (provided of course they are physically connected in the family tree). It seems to me like this is impossible to do with the current report definitions. If I try reports, I always get a message saying: No blood relationship found between Subject A and Subject B. I join Phillip in his wish to incorporate such a feature (if it doesn't already exist).

Ken.

I've allowed my family tree to get so big (over 5000 records) that sometimes I can't work out how any of these people are related to me. TMG lets me see if they are related directly to me, but what if the relationship is through a number of marriages to my 3rd cousin and his first cousin's husband's sister-in-law? What I need is a way to create a chart, or a list, or something that would let me see how one record was CONNECTED to another even if it were through a series of marriages. Can I do that?

Philip, Boronia, Australia

One way of doing this is to set up accents and flags within TMG. I use the same system defined by Terry Reigel on his TMG Tips site.

His system lets me see how someone is related to me either as an ancestor, sibling of an ancestor, cousin, marriage (to an ancestor, cousin or sibling), parent of someone married into the family or as unknown by a simple colour system. The complete article can be found here.

I use this exact system to indicate my interest in particular lines (what is sometimes called Ancestor and Descendant Interest) and for that particular use it works like a charm. I am not sure what the original poster had in mind; but for me I'd like a report like this that can be mailed to someone to shown the relationship path, for example:

Me->My Father->My grandmother->my great grandfather's second wife->her brother->his daughter->her son.

Clearly not a blood relationship but very useful to show how a particular person ties into the intricates of the family tree.

I was thinking something like the "Relationship Chart", but with extended capabilities.

Again, I may have misunderstood the request of the original poster.

Ken.

One way of doing this is to set up accents and flags within TMG. I use the same system defined by Terry Reigel on his TMG Tips site.

His system lets me see how someone is related to me either as an ancestor, sibling of an ancestor, cousin, marriage (to an ancestor, cousin or sibling), parent of someone married into the family or as unknown by a simple colour system. The complete article can be found here.

Would that not be possible with Terry's system if you just had more flags and more colours?

I use this exact system to indicate my interest in particular lines (what is sometimes called Ancestor and Descendant Interest) and for that particular use it works like a charm. I am not sure what the original poster had in mind; but for me I'd like a report like this that can be mailed to someone to shown the relationship path, for example:

Me->My Father->My grandmother->my great grandfather's second wife->her brother->his daughter->her son.

Clearly not a blood relationship but very useful to show how a particular person ties into the intricates of the family tree.

I was thinking something like the "Relationship Chart", but with extended capabilities.

Again, I may have misunderstood the request of the original poster.

Ken.

No you understood me exactly. I'll read the tips link and see if that will work for me.

Terry's system is great but it is still not usable for sharing your work with other genealogists. Say a friend calls me and says he wants to see the exact line from Person A to Person B (and those two are not blood related as often is the case), there is no way Terry's system can provide me with an e-mail'eable report. Furthermore, Terry's system can't be customized on a per case basis. I must fedine flags and preconfigure the lines I need to know in advance. I can't dynamically check the line between two random people in the database. Imagine the theoretical number of lines my database would have where any number of my 4000 people could connect in any manner. If you have tried the "Relationship Chart" you will see what I mean.

That aside: Terry's page is a must see for all TMG users.

Ken.

Would that not be possible with Terry's system if you just had more flags and more colours?