Cheryl

TMG won't open

When I attempt to open TMG6 I get a blank screen with a tiny bar that says "WELCOME" in the lower left corner. The last time I got the splash screen first. I wasn't watching before that. To exit I must do a soft reboot.

It was working fine the last time I opened it -- within the last week. All my other programs are working fine and I can't think of any changes I have made beyond ad a network printer.

It is working on another computer on network and the database is on an external drive and backed up. Would a reinstall be the fastest way to go?

Edited by Cheryl

When I attempt to open TMG6 I get a blank screen with a tiny bar that says "WELCOME" in the lower left corner. The last time I got the splash screen first. I wasn't watching before that. To exit I must do a soft reboot.

It was working fine the last time I opened it -- within the last week. All my other programs are working fine and I can't think of any changes I have made beyond ad a network printer.

It is working on another computer on network and the database is on an external drive and backed up. Would a reinstall be the fastest way to go?

I would not reinstall at this point. Does the screen you see look like the one in the screenshot below? I made that by dragging the Welcome Window down to the bottom - almost off the screen, so just the Welcome shows. If that is what you have, grab hold of the bar and see if you can drag the Welcome Window back up. If you are able to fix it by dragging the window, it's probably an anomaly with the Welcome Window opening too low - but if it happens again, let us know.

Virginia

Welcome.jpg

I would not reinstall at this point. Does the screen you see look like the one in the screenshot below? I made that by dragging the Welcome Window down to the bottom - almost off the screen, so just the Welcome shows. If that is what you have, grab hold of the bar and see if you can drag the Welcome Window back up. If you are able to fix it by dragging the window, it's probably an anomaly with the Welcome Window opening too low - but if it happens again, let us know.

Virginia

post-23-1187835492_thumb.jpg

I already reinstalled Virginia. I'm well backed up so I feel safe. But the same thing happened! :o However, this time I was able to drag the Welcome bar to the middle AND after multiple double clicks it opened. [before it wouldn't open ever.] After that first time it has opened just fine. The only thing I had to redo was my preferences which can stand periodic review anyway.

The BONUS is I am no longer forced to chose my project each time, a problem that has been annoying me for six months. I had consulted with Phil and was told they were aware of the issue but didn't have a solution. I assume this means there is a connection between the two but I will leave that to the techies.

The BONUS is I am no longer forced to chose my project each time, a problem that has been annoying me for six months. I had consulted with Phil and was told they were aware of the issue but didn't have a solution. I assume this means there is a connection between the two but I will leave that to the techies.

In the future if you want a way to open TMG with a specific project each time, you can modify your desktop shortcut to do that. In fact you could have a shortcut on your desktop for each project if you have more than one. Set it up in the Properties of the desktop icon, using this format (substitute your own program and project locations)

Target: c:\program files\the master genealogist\tmg.exe c:\data\myproject__.pjc

Start in: c:\program files\the master genealogist

I use this system for my color-coded family group sheets so I can load a project with a specific color in place.

Virginia