johnthomson

How to Use Unicode Accents with TMG

Hello:

Like others I've wanted to use TMG with Eastern European names (in my case Slovak), but found that I can't. From the forums it looks like the issue is that TMG is based on a FoxPro database and FoxPro doesn't support Unicode.

Happily I found a way to make TMG work with foreign accented characters that I haven't seen in the TMG forums. The "trick" is to tell Windows what language (=character set) to use with programs that don't support Unicode. This works in Windows XP. I don't know about other Windows versions. I can't claim credit for this method, but it's from Rick Strahl at West Wind Technologies.

Go to "Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Advanced > Language for non-Unicode programs" and set whatever language you need. I used Slovak. You may be asked for your Windows install disks, and you'll have to restart your computer. This setting doesn't affect your keyboard, which is changed by another setting.

This method has its limitations. For one thing, you can choose only one foreign language at a time, although the foreign accents of one language may be used by other languages. Anyway, it should help many TMG users.

With this "workaround" you can copy accented characters from any Windows program, such as Word or Character Map, and paste them into TMG. The characters will display OK in the edit screens, but may not display on the view screens. However, the characters display OK in the reports, so you can check if your edits got saved by running a report.

Please note that this Windows setting will be used by all non-Unicode programs, not just TMG. If you want to be on the safe side, after using TMG, set the language back to English.

Cheers,

John Thomson