Helmut Leininger

Strange sort order in project explorer

Hi,

I just have come across a strange sort ordering in the project explorer. For several people, it does no sort by the name and I was unable to find the reason.

TMG is version 6.12.

The project explorer is set to "group by surname" and sometimes it does not order by the first name (after the surname) this results in the strange order

Irene Leininger

Gerda Leininger

Anita Leininger

Barbara Leininger

Bernhard Leininger

I have already run

- recreate indexes

- check integrity

- optimize ...

I attach an image of the wrong part of the project explorer. Any help and/or explanation of the phaenomenon will be welcome.

Regards

Helmut

post-4598-1190046031_thumb.jpg

Hi,

This is strange. These persons have the marriage-name tag without the first name. But this is the same for all married women - and it works well. Besides that, the concerned persons are in the database since years (and have not been touched recently) and I did never see this problem.

I now tried in one case to add a "sort first name" to the tag: I got an error message that because I did not specify a "first name" it would use the first name both for the first name and the sort first name. Although it did not "really" write the name into the marriage-name tag, now this person sorts correctly.

But it is rather inconvenient to check 3000+ names to see where I should bypass the problem in the abve manner.

Regards

Helmut

Helmut,

It looks like it might be inferring the first name for printing, but not for sorting.

Opening and closing the tag should fix the problem, but as you say, that would be a lot of work. I think you can fix it via TMG utility, but I'm not sure how. You might just want to wait and fix them as you see them. Since they are married names, they should be easily to spot.

Thanks, Teresa.

I opened and closed the tag for the persons that I could see during a quick browsing - and it solved the problem for all but one. In the latter case, I opened the main name tag - and there was no sort first name in it. After adding it, the problem disappeared.

Regards

Helmut