canvaswriter

import, add, ? how to get one data set from one project into another?

Yes, I am apparently TMG challenged. My sister and I have moved from DOS programs through the years to other Gen programs, and now have decided on the TMG 6 Gold.

My import from our last venture, Ultimate Family Tree went very smoothly, no probems worth mentioning.

The new "issue"?

We decided to check to make sure we had the same thing going on, so she sent me a CD of her project. For some reason we thought we could import each other's information as a 2nd data set and compare them side by side and take what we needed from one data set (hers) into the other data set (mine for sake of discussion). But I can only see a way to import version 4 tmg and below.

Is there any way to take the main data set out of her project (which is version 6 Gold)into my project (same as hers) as another data set, take what I want, then delete it?

How do you export for instance NOT as a Gedcom file, but as a data set? Possible? Any of this? :ph34r:

Is there any way to take the main data set out of her project (which is version 6 Gold)into my project (same as hers) as another data set, take what I want, then delete it?

You should both be using TMG v6.12. The important thing is to preserve the original data by making backups. The following will give you the general idea.

Make a copy of her project.

Edit that copy and use the Data Set Manager to delete any unwanted data sets so that the project only contains the data set that you want.

Merge that project into your project. That will add the data set from her project as a new data set in your project.

Copy the individuals of interest from her data set to your data set.

How do you export for instance NOT as a Gedcom file, but as a data set?

Make a copy of your project.

Edit that copy and use the Data Set Manager to delete any unwanted data sets.

Now you have a new project with the desired data set.

Check out this tutorial and other topics on Terry Reigel's website.

http://tmg.reigelridge.com/merging.htm

Thanks I was trying to avoid merging, but it appears I will have to.

Merging projects does exactly what you want to do. It copies data sets from the source project into the target project. I have no idea why you would think that's something to be avoided. It makes absolutely no changes to the data sets in the target project that existed before the merge.

You cannot combine duplicate data in two datasets until they are merged into one.

I have found that if the datasets are large and need some cleanup first, they are best imported to separate projects. Response time will be faster than stuffing all datasets into one project.

It's always best to make a backup both before a large merge and after optimization/validation/optimization.

After merging the projects, merge the datasets.

I have a lot of extra data in my primary project because I loaded too much there too early.

Combining duplicate entries continues.... I do not wish to start over at this point because other data was entered separately.

Edited by retsof

Well actually after I read his web site and his comments on the negatives of merging, I chose to take his suggestion that I just bring up two TMG programs, make each small enough to sit side by side, and input what I need by hand, thus saving myself a ton of headaches.

It's working great.

One can go read this remarks about merging versus copy but this is what I chose to go with after reading the entire thing.

And I am quoting from his page.

"If the received data is any form of genealogy program file, import it or open it in TMG, preferably as a separate Project. Then open a second copy of TMG, with your Project in one and the received data in the other. Arrange the two copies of TMG so that at least some of each is visible on your screen. Then use Windows copy and paste functions to copy the data from the received Project to your own."

We have 5,000 names + in each project, but I only needed some new ones she has added, not all, in fact very few compared to the total number of individuals, but I also wanted to "compare" so we would have the same material as each other, so this way worked best for me. I don't have to mess with my own project, and I can use hers as a reference and take what I need and just do some typing, and copying and pasting. Don't mind the input, I think it will work better for me, don't have to delete, merge, and my project is still as good as new.

You cannot combine duplicate data in two datasets until they are merged into one.

After merging the projects, merge the datasets.

What does this have to do with the questions asked in the first post?

If you want to copy selected individuals from one data set to another, there is no need to get into merging data sets.

After the individuals are copied, you can then merge any duplicate individuals if necessary.

I usually have a lot of overlap when combining projects and datasets. Merging is a big thing here and occupies the bulk of my time this year. Another problem is that many datasets on rootsweb will not give you a complete gedcom. Some allow 10 generations of ancestors or descendants of a particular person. Some only give you 6 or less. Some give you none and force you to enter everything manually, but those can be dealt with individually by cutting and pasting. Even with some degree of generational control, it is hard to copy another piece without ending up with duplicates somewhere.

It is sometimes difficult to copy a piece of the Plantagenets without getting another copy of Charlemagne's family because of all of the intermarriages all over the place. I see different references in different datasets for several working on the same pieces of my family, so the overlap persists.

There are too many people here to copy selected persons, or at least there are until the duplicate persons are combined.

Edited by retsof