retsof

Details / Person View / Layouts?

I can tell you about my NON-FAVORITE layout. Start with the default. Toggle off both the children window and sibling window. Then expand the details window to fill the whole width of the screen to the right by hitting the [ ] in the details windows toolbar.

Here's the problem: Back up the file. When the details window returns and regenerates, the OTHER INFO BOX IS MISSING. The only way I have found to get it back is to exit TMG and restart it and select the project again. The default returns.

I wondered whether it was a function of my main project, with a very large file. I tried it on a new project with a small file and saw the same problem. It is reproducible.

Edited by retsof

(1) If you close the child and sibling windows, the details window fills about 5/8 of the screen on the left side and the right 3/8 is empty.

(2) If you back up the database now, the details window is correctly regenerated.

(3) Make the details window full screen.

(4) Back up the database.

(5) When the details window is regenerated, the other info box is gone.

(6) I then exited TMG and restarted. The default details window with other info box and child and sibling windows are there. I have not ever saved any layouts, but start with the default. Well, never mind. I saved one and found where to swap them. I have a Details/Flags/Focus Groups set running.

Performance note: Large databases run a bit faster with the child and sibling windows gone. I was using the auto relationship today. It also runs faster without that turned on.

I originally set the details window full screen to see some long names. That's when I found this other info box bug. I could use item tips to see long names after a rollover, but it sometimes inhibits the clickability on the name. It's faster for me without that.

The name area expands to fill the space. I might as well post a name that needs genealogical help rather than a random screen.

post-7328-1196288465_thumb.jpg

Edited by retsof

I could use item tips to see long names after a rollover, but it sometimes inhibits the clickability on the name. It's faster for me without that.

There are a couple of ways to get around the clickability problem when item tips are enabled:

- click once on the name to close the item tip and then doubleclick

- Ctrl-P (or Ctrl-T or Ctrl-Y) in the Type column to change focus to that name - Person, Tree or Family view.

Virginia

That's the same steps I took, and I still have my Other Info Box. Now that you have created a new layout, does the problem still exist? I have about 8. <G>
I was also curious, and tried a backup from the new layout. It returned correctly.

I only found the problem after backing up a full screen details window.

This is Windows XP, on a fairly fast AMD64 4000+ 2.4GHz system, with a good 256Mb graphics card, 3Gb of memory and 1/2 Tb of hard drive space. Data is on a 200 Gb drive and the SQZ. files are on the second drive, 300 Gb.

When backing up from one of the other layouts, I did get a transient error of the other info box being empty and another time, the flag box being empty. Closing the flag and restarting it fixed that. This was random and not repeatable, like the other error of the missing other info box.

Let's try something else ... closing the details window (without the info box) to see whether it regenerates correctly. No, it does not. The details window returns without the other info box. I did it from the view/person, and also the window/details.

Well, here's something interesting. I saved the detail screen without the other info box as a layout so I could refer to it again. If I start with that and swap to other layouts, EVERY detail screen, even those small or standard size ones, HAVE NO OTHER INFO BOX. The detail doesn't regenerate. It merely resizes what is there.

Gotta close TMG again and restart. I'll swap some layouts, and then bring up the detail without info box layout, and swap some more again.

Here's what happens: When bringing up the detail without info box layout, IT CONTAINS AN INFO BOX. Once a backup is done and the info box is gone, it stays that way until TMG is stopped and restarted.

Edited by retsof

I had thought it was maybe a Vista issue, but I see you are running XP. It might be a good time to email Tech Support since they may need to see some data, or screen shots. I have tried and can't replicate it, but maybe they can.

I had thought it was maybe a Vista issue, but I see you are running XP. It might be a good time to email Tech Support since they may need to see some data, or screen shots. I have tried and can't replicate it, but maybe they can.
The primary error screen shot for full screen details window without other info box is 5 messages up. Everything else looks to be normal. Edited by retsof

I would email tech support and give them the links to our discussions. They may have been following along, but if not, you need to bring this to their attention. Since I couldn't recreate it, it could be a data issue on your part, since you said you have a large data file, or it could be that I am not recreating the steps exactly and they may need more details. If I can recreate it, I will holler. <G>

I would email tech support and give them the links to our discussions. They may have been following along, but if not, you need to bring this to their attention. Since I couldn't recreate it, it could be a data issue on your part, since you said you have a large data file, or it could be that I am not recreating the steps exactly and they may need more details. If I can recreate it, I will holler. <G>
I wondered about that, and have also recreated it in other projects with smaller files. It's consistent, anyway, here.

If you are going to upgrade to v7 anyway, you might wait and see if you still have the problem there.

I have not been able to replicate the problem using your scenario - but I have had the Other Info box disappear a few times over the years. As you say, it comes back when TMG reopens.

Virginia

Retsof,

Well, I can't recreate your issue, but now I have created one of my own. Now i have the TYPE part of the box, but not the data part. I have tried everything to resize the box so I can get the data back. Also missing the NAME lable in the area where the Mother/Father are listed. I think it has to do with the resizing the screen. Going to change to another layout that works and then fix to what I have now.

Well, I can't recreate your issue, but now I have created one of my own. Now i have the TYPE part of the box, but not the data part. I have tried everything to resize the box so I can get the data back. Also missing the NAME lable in the area where the Mother/Father are listed. I think it has to do with the resizing the screen. Going to change to another layout that works and then fix to what I have now.
I would tend to agree. One it gets messed up, it simply resizes and doesn't regenerate.

Here's another idea:

I'll try this in another screen resolution or two to see what happens. All of these errors generated in 1024x768.

Changed to 1280x1024. Full screen detail window full screen. Backup. INFO BOX IS CORRECT UPON REGENERATION, which is a lot slower at this resolution. However, the project had been running for awhile.

I'll exit and restart for a fresh project and make the details window fill screen. backup.

INFO BOX IS MISSING at 1024x768.

Change to 1280x1024 before exit/restart

Change details window to full screen. Backup.

INFO BOX IS MISSING at 1280x1024.

The number of manipulations on the screen or data entries or something may have an effect. I can get this error easily immediately after start of the project. I currently have 3 projects up, but it has happened with only 1 running.

I'll try a small resolution this time.

Change to 800x800. (640x480 is not available on this setup)

(I could only see the tops of the control buttons because of some toolbars. It was in the middle of the process, so I couldn't get rid of them. I managed to make it go.

I can just barely see the LEFT PART of the other info box as far as "Typ". It's there, but the font I was using will not fit into this resolution. It could be that the other info box may be getting pushed to the right too far to see. I don't know.

Changing back to 1024x768. This one is too small for my selections for TMG.