Bill Martin22

Project _ND.DBF Not found

With TMG version 6.12 running, I closed all projects.

Then I tried to open the file VANHORN__.pjc. It is a 2.34KB file, size on disk 16.0KB

The message appeared:

"The project is in use elsewhere. Please select another project."

There was no project runing, so I Exited TMG.

Upon restarting TMG and trying to open the VANHORN__.pjc file, the message "Repair Mode has been activated....etc." appeared, so I exited TMG.

This time, upon restarting TMG, I got the message "C:\The Master Genealogist\Projects\VANHORN_ND.dbf not found. "

TMG automatically shut down and returned me to Windows.

I shut down the computer and Restarted it. Then I restarted TMG. When I tried to open the file VANHORN__.pjc, TMG went through the same process as described earlier.

Questions:

Is there a different way for me to open that project?

If not, is there a way for me to repair it?

Thank you for the advice.

-Bill Martin Denver, CO

billmartin44@ieee.org

Try deleting your index (.cdx) files. That is usually the first thing to try when a project will not open.

1. Make sure TMG is not running.

2. Go to C: > Program Files > The Master Genealogist > Projects and delete the approximately 29 *.cdx files of the project that won't open. To find them easily View > Details; View > Arrange icons by Type. If TMG went into Repair Mode, you may not have all 28 cdx files.

If your project opens:

3. Run File > Maintenance > Optimize

Run File > Maintenance > Validate File Integrity (until there are no errors)

If that does not help, and if you can open TMG through the Sample project, you can contact Tech Support by using the Message Manager > Outgoing Tab (on the Help menu). You might also try opening your project from the Sample project if you haven't already.

Virginia

If your project opens:

3. Run File > Maintenance > Optimize

Run File > Maintenance > Validate File Integrity (until there are no errors)

a minor point for general use...Validate runs faster after the optimize, however Validate makes the file larger.

Run File > Maintenance > Optimize again after the validate to shrink it back down and get your update speed back.

Edited by retsof

a minor point for general use...Validate runs faster after the optimize, however Validate makes the file larger.

Run File > Maintenance > Optimize again after the validate to shrink it back down and get your update speed back.

Thanks for the tip!

-Bill

2. Go to C: > Program Files > The Master Genealogist > Projects and delete the approximately 29 *.cdx files of the project that won't open. To find them easily View > Details; View > Arrange icons by Type. If TMG went into Repair Mode, you may not have all 28 cdx files.
It is also possible to recover the project from a .SQZ file, but this method may be a lifesaver if you have forgotten to do a backup for awhile, had to do that, and lost some new data . After the index rebuild --- do a backup ... otimize ... validate ... optimize ... backup.

My project burp was in the middle of an optimize.

Edited by retsof

It is also possible to recover the project from a .SQZ file, but this method may be a lifesaver if you have forgotten to do a backup for awhile, had to do that, and lost some new data . After the index rebuild --- do a backup ... otimize ... validate ... optimize ... backup.

My project burp was in the middle of an optimize.

It's done. TMG oughta run like a scared rabbit now. Thanks for the advice.

-Bill