mikemore

TMG7 Update-Files missing or invalid

I have installed TMG 7 but when I try to restore from the backup of my TMG 6 file I get the following message:

MORE_N.FPT is missing or invalid 4156 TESTTHUMB (the file is preceded by a directory which I didn't record; my file name is MORE

If I click ignore, it continues and then I get

MORE_G.FPT is missing or invalid 66 FIX_52

Another ignore gets

MORE_E.FPT is missing or invalid 94 FIX_52

When the restore was completed, I noticed some diffences between the TMG 6 and 7 databases. Some of people seemd to be missing in TMG 7. I compared the Project Information and found

People: TMG6 and TMG7 both have 72,032

Names: TMG6 has 98624 while TMG7 only has 41,367.

All other information was identical but, probablu due to the different number of names, my filters came up with different results.

I restored the same file to TMG6 without a problem.

I also noted that one in another thread. I think my memo file did not get converted.

I am not going to use V7 for production use until some of these experiences are checked.

Hint: Watch for 7.01.

V7 was supposed to move some files to different locations. Perhaps one or more didn't get split out.

When the restore was completed, I noticed some diffences between the TMG 6 and 7 databases. Some of people seemd to be missing in TMG 7. I compared the Project Information and found

People: TMG6 and TMG7 both have 72,032

Names: TMG6 has 98624 while TMG7 only has 41,367.

The primary name count matches. Did the name variants get dropped, I wonder? Check some of your folks with known additional names to see whether those alternatives are there.

What about married names?

Edited by retsof

In version 6, one good way of fixing normal file corruption errors was to exit and delete all of the projectname*.CDX files (indices). That assumes that the base database files still exist in some form.

I tried it for this error. The other indices were recreated, but 66 FIX_52 error is still there. It still seems that one or more of these files is still totally gone, memo file in my case.

I was curious about the sample project provided with V7. The indices got created on first access and it come up without problem. I don't know what to check to find out whether all of the data is there or not.

Another test might be to backup the V7 sample project to save it for later recovery.

Somebody could backup the sample project in V6 and try to convert it to V7.

The programmers should be aware of what numbers of records of each type should be there. It's easy enough to check.

I have been working this evening in V6. When going to V7, it was recommended to backup any layouts, etc. that one wished to preserve. My large backup had a lot of these missing database errors. I had a newer "quickie" V6 backup of only data, without all of the other things checkmarked on the options box. Well, I still got the same kinds of errors and fixes, with several databases being gone. It is now updating names (why?) and is spending a very long time on it. Something's not ready for prime time. The conversion is taking a lot longer than the first one I tried.

After about 1/2 hour of watching it struggle and move the % completion gradually towards 50%, I aborted it. The hard drive used for the V6 backup was being heavily accessed. The volume was inaccessible after the abort, but a reboot fixed it. The hard drive is back.

Edited by retsof

I tried it again.

Here is the whole set of messages.

Restore finished

Creating indexes.

Memo file missing or invalid (for each one of these)

...G.FPT 66 FIX-52

...E.FPT 89 FIX-52

...E.FPT 90 FIX-52

...E.FPT 91 FIX-52

...E.FPT 89 FIX-52

...E.FPT 90 FIX-52

...E.FPT 91 FIX-52

...E.FPT 89 FIX-52

...E.FPT 90 FIX-52

...E.FPT 91 FIX-52

...E.FPT 94 FIX-52

...E.FPT 95 FIX-52

...E.FPT 96 FIX-52

...E.FPT 94 FIX-52

...E.FPT 95 FIX-52

...E.FPT 96 FIX-52

...S.FPT 122 FIX-52

...E.FPT 123 FIX-52

...E.FPT 124 FIX-52

After a couple of % building names, I aborted TPG7.

This computer running XP has 3 gigabytes of memory available, so that should not be a bottleneck.

I tried deleting the CDX files in the new TMG7 Directory but got the same results. Eventually the project will open but all the Married Names are gone, plus some complete people are blank.

This is a different type of file corruption. deleting the .CDX didn't work for me. I also tried moving the UNCOMPRESSED backup to a different hard drive in a directory this time.

Restores from the uncompressed backup don't give me missing memo file fix errors, but have some dynazip errors. The N file was also missing in both cases. To be sure, I also copied the backup to a flash drive. That was worse. I got one dynazip error and a "restore failed".

Edited by retsof

Problem solved. There were a number of mildly corrupted files in the project that Wholly Genes Tech Support repaired. I have now successfully restored my project to TMG 7. Thanks.