retsof

V6>V7 restore of medium or large project is problem

I think that I'm on to something.

It could be that a MEDIUM size project was the cause of all of today's grief with missing memo files and dynazip errors. It has 73,672 people (ID numbers) in it with many duplicates that are being merged as time permits.

I tried to do a restore of a SMALL project. It has 1,072 people (ID numbers). It was a standard backup with default compression.

I got a lot of messages that . dataset already existed, with a null project name. I said "yes to all" and the restore apparently went with no problem. That was the cleanest copy so far.

I don't think that I will even attempt my LARGE project. It has 485,681 persons with many duplicates that are being merged as time permits. It goes slower, because many lines have different source citations.

Edited by retsof

Guest PhilDee
I think that I'm on to something.

It could be that a MEDIUM size project was the cause of all of today's grief with missing memo files and dynazip errors. It has 73,672 people (ID numbers) in it with many duplicates that are being merged as time permits.

I tried to do a restore of a SMALL project. It has 1,072 people (ID numbers). It was a standard backup with default compression.

I got a lot of messages that . dataset already existed, with a null project name. I said "yes to all" and the restore apparently went with no problem. That was the cleanest copy so far.

I don't think that I will even attempt my LARGE project. It has 485,681 persons with many duplicates that are being merged as time permits. It goes slower, because many lines have different source citations.

Please send me copies of your small, medium and large SQZ files. You can use the Message Manager feature of V6 to upload those. Then send an email to phild@whollygenes.com to let me know they have been uploaded and what the file names are. I'll take a look at them and see if I can figure out what is happening.

Phil

Wholly Genes Tech Support

I have an e-mail going to upload the medium size .SQZ to bvelke as an attachment. The cable modem upload is really struggling, since upload is a lot slower than download. It almost finished the message and started over a couple of times. The computer didn't have enough memory to send up the uncompressed .SQZ so I am trying a compressed .SQZ, which can always be restored and backed up V6 as uncompressed.

Let me watch that for a little while. ...I killed it.

------------------------

I uploaded the small file via message manager. That seems to run quickly.

medium file upload was successful.

large file upload was successful.

file names in e-mail to phild and bvelke

Edited by retsof

I raised the question of database size on the TMG Mailing List and got a reply that a user had successfully restored files of 250,000 and 75,000. So it appears that it may be some other issue than simply size.

It appeared to be an undetectable garbling of some files by V6. V7 has better error checking, they say. Anyhow, tech support rejiggered the files. The medium project is restored to V7 and the large project restore is in process.

Some other projects are full gedcom downloads, so I will merely redownload in V7 instead of converting, especially if they are newer.

Edited by retsof