Guest Michael Dietz

Question on sentence structure

Guest Michael Dietz

Using the sentence preview feature I have encountered a minor condition in the sentence structure. I don't think this is a bug. The sentence structure is:

[:CR:][:TAB:][PF] was left a widower when [PO] died <[D]>

The individual's name is listed as E. Elisha Beall. As far as I have been able to find out he never used his first name and always signed things as E. Elisha Beall. I don't even know what the E. stood for. However the sentence becomes:

E. was left a widower when Sarah Elizabeth King died in Dec, 1801.

Is there any way to force the sentence to use the entire given and middle name. I understand the [PF] variable only uses the "given name" but in this case all there is of it is E. This could possibly be the only instance of the situation in the 5,000 names I have so it is no big deal. I could always change the sentence structure to use [P] instead of [PF] if necessary.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Mike

ps. I am thoroughly enjoying V7. Thank you Bob and all the TMG group.

Using the sentence preview feature I have encountered a minor condition in the sentence structure. I don't think this is a bug. The sentence structure is:

The individual's name is listed as E. Elisha Beall. As far as I have been able to find out he never used his first name and always signed things as E. Elisha Beall. I don't even know what the E. stood for. However the sentence becomes:

E. was left a widower when Sarah Elizabeth King died in Dec, 1801.

Is there any way to force the sentence to use the entire given and middle name. I understand the [PF] variable only uses the "given name" but in this case all there is of it is E. This could possibly be the only instance of the situation in the 5,000 names I have so it is no big deal. I could always change the sentence structure to use [P] instead of [PF] if necessary.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Mike

ps. I am thoroughly enjoying V7. Thank you Bob and all the TMG group.

[PG] uses entire given name whereas [PF] uses first word of given name....

Your sentence is:

Michael, there are two variables for partial names, [PF] which outputs the FIRST name and [PG] which outputs the full given name. From your description, [PG] should give you the output you want. If you wanted only the Middle name, I suggest the use of a name variation with only the middle name in the given name field. Then you select that name from the drop-down list when you want to use it for a particular event!

Jan

Guest Michael Dietz

Thank you Paul and Jan.

This is an excellent example of "If all else fails, read the manual".

Of course [PG] is fully explained in the help module.

Mike