Is there a way one can instruct TMG7 to place the exhibits is respective sub folders that exist in my TMG6?

I have separate folders for each type of document such as d:\Genealogy\Exhibits\Wills and d:\Genealogy\Exhibits\Census etc

I thought I had it organized so I can find any document easily if needed but Ver 7 took that all went away and put them all in one directory, what a mess.

I reverted back to Ver 6 for the time being.

Sure wold like this to be addressed for the next update

Thanks

Kenny

Hi Kenny,

I had the same problem. In my case it resulted from not reading the migration instructions well enough and I did a restore including the exhibits.

If you do not include the exhibits in your save/restore, they remain where they are and are perfectly useable. After that, you may set the default folders in the project properties as you like.

REgards

Helmut

I also use subfolders for storing exhibits, and I can confirm that Helmut's method works. As long as you do not restore the exhibits, the paths are left intact and will be accessible the same way from TMG7 that they were in TMG6.

I am still waiting, though, for the day when exhibits will be stored in the database using relative paths rather than absolute paths. It will make migrating a project to a different computer or harddrive vastly more easier for those of us who find it necessary to split exhibits into multiple folders. But for now we need to make the best out of it and for that Helmut's way certainly works.

Ken.

Is there a way one can instruct TMG7 to place the exhibits is respective sub folders that exist in my TMG6?

I have separate folders for each type of document such as d:\Genealogy\Exhibits\Wills and d:\Genealogy\Exhibits\Census etc

I thought I had it organized so I can find any document easily if needed but Ver 7 took that all went away and put them all in one directory, what a mess.

I reverted back to Ver 6 for the time being.

Hi Kenny,

I had the same problem. In my case it resulted from not reading the migration instructions well enough and I did a restore including the exhibits.

If you do not include the exhibits in your save/restore, they remain where they are and are perfectly useable. After that, you may set the default folders in the project properties as you like.

REgards

Helmut

Thanks Helmut

the old saying "when everything else fails read the book"

Kenny

I also use subfolders for storing exhibits, and I can confirm that Helmut's method works. As long as you do not restore the exhibits, the paths are left intact and will be accessible the same way from TMG7 that they were in TMG6.

I am still waiting, though, for the day when exhibits will be stored in the database using relative paths rather than absolute paths. It will make migrating a project to a different computer or harddrive vastly more easier for those of us who find it necessary to split exhibits into multiple folders. But for now we need to make the best out of it and for that Helmut's way certainly works.

Ken.

Thanks Ken

nice name you got there

Kenny

Kenny, this is addressed in Help > Data File Storage, specifically toward the end of the article in the paragraphs relative to Exhibits and restoring them (or not).

Virginia

Thanks Virginia

I will learn before I die to read the darn book

Later Kenny