tlc

inconsistent child name formatting in journal report

When printing a journal report with the "child name" option set to "all small caps", the printed report shows three different formats of child names, although they are all in small caps.

Some have a full stop (or period) after the name and then the sentence regarding their birth begins by repeating the name. For example:

AMELIA. Amelia was born at Yorkshire...etc

Some DO NOT have a full stop (or period) after the name and then the sentence regarding their birth begins by repeating the name. For example:

HANNAH Hannah was born at Yorkshire...etc

And some incorporate the name in all caps with the birth sentence. For example:

EILEEN was born......etc

I cannot find any difference between the name tags for these people that could make them appear differently in the report.

Has anyone else seen this before? Any ideas what might be happening? I'm running the UK Gold Edition.

Teresa

It's now clear from your description whether you are talkinga about the mentions of children in the lists of children or in their own sections. But I think in either case the issue is not with the name tag, but with the tag that follows it.

In the case of a section about any person, the text always starts with the name of that person. If the first tag starts with the name, that name is not repeated, but instead the text from that tag simply continues. But if the first tag starts with something other than the name, the initial name stands alone, and then the output from the tag begins.

I've not looked at the behaviour of the individual sections in the lists of children, but I suspect they work the same way.

So I'd guess the solution is to look at the Sentence of the first tag that appears in the narrative for each of these children, and fix that Sentence so it starts with a name variable.