Sign in to follow this  
andray

Upgrading

THEREFORE, the process to upgrade your data from v6 (or earlier) to v7 is as follows:

1. Run TMG v6 and back up your data (File>Backup). In Step 2 of the Backup Wizard, be SURE to make a note of the backup file location. In Step 3, be sure to include accents, filters, layouts, report configurations, and any other customizations that you want to move to v7.
  2. Purchase and download your upgrade to The Master Genealogist v7 from:
  3. Install TMG v7 and run that program with the Sample project. Consult the "Data File Storage" help topic if desired.
  4. Restore your project to TMG v7 (File>Restore), selecting the backup file that you created in Step #1.

Since TMG v6 and v7 can peacefully coexist on your computer, we recommend that you do not uninstall the earlier version until you're happily accessing your data with the new program.

I exported my project and then tried to import it to v7. After selecting the backup in the Wizard, it showed it extracting the file. After that, nothing. The <Next> and <Finish> buttons are greyed out, and nothing else happens. :(

Any ideas?

Andray

Andray - you wrote 'exported' and 'import' with reference to your project, but did you mean that you 'Backed up' and 'Restored', as is required, and then nothing happened?

Virginia

You're right, I backed up the data but then was trying to import it. I did a restore and all is fine. my bad. :rolleyes:

While I had no problems converting my projects to V7, a few people have. I don't know if this was the cause of their problems, but I would highly suggest that users run the File Maintenance sequence of "Optimize/Validate File Integrity/Optimize" on your V6 project until you get no errors before you do a backup for restoring to V7. And immediately after you restore in V7 I would do the same sequence there. It probably is not necessary, but it sure can't hurt.

You're right, I backed up the data but then was trying to import it. I did a restore and all is fine. my bad. :rolleyes:

I'm glad you got it all installed and working. If you run into any problems or have any questions, ask away.

Virginia

While I had no problems converting my projects to V7, a few people have. I don't know if this was the cause of their problems, but I would highly suggest that users run the File Maintenance sequence of "Optimize/Validate File Integrity/Optimize" on your V6 project until you get no errors before you do a backup for restoring to V7. And immediately after you restore in V7 I would do the same sequence there. It probably is not necessary, but it sure can't hurt.
To make sure, I did an optimize/validate/optimize/backup before trying to restore a 75,000 ID project in V7. I got a missing G memo file. I backed up again in the UNCOMPRESSED mode and still got a missing G memo file when trying a restore.

Phil DeSilva is recovering it in the meantime, because something else in there is not quite at 100%. Those WCG guys have been on top of things and wonderful this week.